live U.S.-Iran standoff continues as Hormuz shipping and diplomacy remain uncertain
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to res...
Iran's Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi has said that U.S. President Donald Trump had been misled by disinformation on Tehran’s peaceful nuclear program which led him to order an attack on Iran in June.
“It is more than clear by now that POTUS has been badly fed the fake line that Iran’s peaceful nuclear program was on the verge of weaponization this spring. That is simply a BIG LIE, and he should have been informed that there is zero proof of that, as confirmed by his own intelligence community,” he said in a post on X.
His reaction comes following remarks on Monday by the U.S. President in the Israeli parliament as well as at the Sharm El-Sheikh Summit in Egypt, alleging that Theran was developing nuclear bombs and was deterred after the airstrikes on its nuclear facilities.
“One can hardly be branded as President of Peace while provoking endless WARS and aligning with WAR criminals. Mr. Trump can either be a President of Peace or a President of War, but he cannot be both at the same time,” Araghchi added.
Ironically, Iran’s top diplomat agreed with U.S. president in that Iran should not be used as a scapegoat in the Arab-Israeli normalization process while Tehran does not recognize Israel and has not accepted the two-state formula.
“He is right in saying that Iran should not be used as a pretext regarding normalization with Israel.
If someone wants to throw the Palestinians under the bus while embracing a genocidal entity that thirsts to devour the whole region, they should have the guts to take full responsibility for it in front of their people and not blame others.” he said.
Iran’s Foreign Ministry had on Tuesday strongly condemned Trump's call for dialogue with Tehran at the Israeli parliament as “contradictory”, accusing him of “hostile and criminal behaviour”.
Tehran also declined Egypt’s invitation to participate in the Sharm El-Sheikh Summit on Gaza ceasefire between Hamas and Israel on Monday saying that it cannot sit at the same table with those who attacked Iran, referring to the joint Israel - US airstrikes in June.
Araghchi is currently in Kampala, Uganda to take part at the 19th Mid-Term Ministerial meeting of the Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) on October 15-16.
He is expected to state Iran’s position on regional and international developments including the stalled nuclear talks with US and the Gaza ceasefire besides meeting with the counterparts from the NAM member states.
Established in 1961 at the Bandung Conference at the height of Cold War geopolitical rivalry, NAM is an alliance of 121 developing countries with the agenda to be their voice in an imbalanced world order.
Rising global conflicts dominate the Kampala meeting as NAM foreign ministers gather in Uganda -- the movement’s chair-state for 2024-26 to discuss the theme “Deepening Cooperation for Shared Global Affluence”.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
Syria says it assured Israel that Türkiye had no plans to establish a military presence at the Abu al-Duhur airbase before Israeli forces struck the site on Tuesday.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has issued his strongest warning yet over Türkiye's growing military role in Syria, saying Israel will not accept Turkish forces expanding their presence further south.
Azerbaijan’s support for Ukraine could provide a model for neighbouring countries seeking to strengthen their sovereignty, the director of development at an organisation supporting Ukraine’s armed forces has told AnewZ.
Two days inside Uzbekistan’s newsrooms, hospitals, factories and technology hubs reveal a country eager to show how it is changing — while that transformation is still under way.
Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani arrived in Islamabad on Wednesday for a two-day visit, marking the first trip by Syria’s top diplomat to Pakistan in 19 years as Damascus seeks to deepen ties with the country.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment