Türkiye moves to bar Israeli ships from its ports
Türkiye has decided to bar Israeli vessels from using its ports, forbid Turkish ships from using Israeli ports and impose restrictions on planes ente...
Türkiye has decided to bar Israeli vessels from using its ports, forbid Turkish ships from using Israeli ports and impose restrictions on planes entering Turkish airspace, Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan said on Friday(August 29).
He provided few details in comments to parliament, which appeared to summarise steps that Türkiye has already taken against Israel over the war in Gaza or has started to implement.
"We have closed off our ports to Israeli ships, and we are not allowing Turkish vessels to go to Israel's ports. I want to underline that there is no other country that has totally cut its trade with Israel" the minister said.
Türkiye has fiercely criticised Israel's offensive in Gaza and accuses it of committing genocide there, a charge that Israel denies.
Ankara has halted all trade with Israel, called for international measures against it and urged world powers to stop supporting Israel.
Sources told Reuters last week that Turkish port authorities had also started informally requiring shipping agents to provide letters declaring that vessels are not linked to Israel and not carrying military or hazardous cargo bound for the country.
A source had also said that Turkish-flagged ships would be prohibited from calling at Israeli ports.
"We have totally cut our trade with Israel, we have closed off our ports to Israeli ships and we are not allowing Turkish vessels to go to Israel's ports," Fidan told an extraordinary parliamentary session on Israel's attacks on Gaza.
"We are not allowing container ships carrying weapons and ammunition to Israel to enter our ports, and airplanes to go into our airspace," he added, without giving details.
The Israeli government did not immediately comment on his remarks.
A powerful eruption at Japan’s Shinmoedake volcano sent an ash plume more than 3,000 metres high on Sunday morning, prompting safety warnings from authorities.
According to the German Research Centre for Geosciences (GFZ), a magnitude 5.7 earthquake struck the Oaxaca region of Mexico on Saturday.
The UK is gearing up for Exercise Pegasus 2025, its largest pandemic readiness test since COVID-19. Running from September to November, this full-scale simulation will challenge the country's response to a fast-moving respiratory outbreak.
A Polish Air Force pilot was killed on Thursday when an F-16 fighter jet crashed during a training flight ahead of the 2025 Radom International Air Show.
Russia has supported Azerbaijan and Armenia’s decision to dissolve the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE) Minsk Group, stating that the structure will be terminated by the end of 2025.
The Israeli military announced on Friday that Gaza City will no longer be covered by its limited daily humanitarian pause, citing the area as a "dangerous combat zone."
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan is highlighting Türkiye’s push for homegrown air defence, as the country develops new systems and deepens defence ties internationally.
Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi says Tehran has agreed to the visit by inspectors of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) simply to monitor refuelling of its Bushehr nuclear power plant warning that return of nuclear sanctions will negatively affect its limited cooperation.
President of the Republic of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev welcomed Magdalena Grono, the European Union Special Representative for the South Caucasus in Baku on Thursday.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment