Russia targets Ukraine energy infrastructure in overnight strikes
Russia launched overnight drone and missile strikes across Ukraine, targeting energy infrastructure in multiple regions, Ukrainian authorities said on...
Sudan’s Khartoum State faces a sharp rise in cholera cases, with hundreds infected weekly amid deteriorating conditions following recent conflict.
Sudan’s Ministry of Health announced on Saturday that hundreds of cholera cases have been reported in Khartoum State over the past four weeks.
Health Minister Haitham Mohamed Ibrahim said in a press release that weekly cholera cases surged to between 600 and 700 in the last month. The increase followed the liberation of Khartoum State and the return of residents from Jabal Awliya and Al Salha, which caused worsening environmental conditions and limited access to clean drinking water.
On Tuesday, the Sudanese army declared it had regained full control of Khartoum State after taking the last Rapid Support Forces (RSF) stronghold in Al Salha, Omdurman.
Minister Ibrahim added that the Federal Health Emergency Room is actively monitoring the situation and taking necessary steps to contain the outbreak. A cholera vaccination campaign is expected to begin soon, which should help reduce infection rates in the coming weeks.
The Sudan Doctors Network issued an urgent call on Friday to address the growing health crisis. On Thursday alone, nine people died and 521 new cholera patients were admitted to Al-Naw Teaching Hospital in Omdurman.
According to official statistics from May 6, Sudan has recorded 60,993 cholera cases and 1,632 deaths since the outbreak was declared a national epidemic on August 12.
Following recent military gains, the Sudanese army now controls most of Khartoum State, including Khartoum, Bahri, Omdurman, and East Nile. The RSF retains control only over parts of North and West Kordofan, South Kordofan, Blue Nile, and most of Darfur’s states.
Since April 2023, conflict between the Sudanese army and RSF has led to thousands of deaths and one of the worst humanitarian crises worldwide. The UN and local officials estimate over 20,000 deaths and 15 million displaced people, while independent research suggests the toll may be as high as 130,000.
A seven-month-old Japanese macaque has drawn international attention after forming an unusual bond with a stuffed orangutan toy after being rejected by its mother.
Quentin Griffiths, co-founder of online fashion retailer ASOS, has died in Pattaya, Thailand, after falling from the 17th floor of a condominium on 9 February, Thai police confirmed.
Divers have recovered the bodies of seven Chinese tourists and a Russian driver after their minibus broke through the ice of on Lake Baikal in Russia, authorities said.
President Donald Trump said on Saturday (21 February) that he will raise temporary tariffs on nearly all U.S. imports from 10% to 15%, the maximum allowed under the law, after the Supreme Court struck down his previous tariff program.
Hungary announced on Friday it was blocking a €90 billion ($106 billion) European Union loan intended to support Ukraine’s 2026–2027 budget and military needs, citing disruptions to Russian oil deliveries via the Druzhba pipeline.
Measles cases across Europe and Central Asia fell sharply in 2025 compared to the previous year but health officials have warned that the risk of fresh outbreaks remains unless vaccination gaps are urgently addressed.
A Florida university has become a new hotspot in a widening U.S. measles outbreak, with health officials confirming multiple infections and hospitalisations.
The World Health Organization has added the Nipah virus to its list of the world’s top 10 priority diseases, alongside COVID-19 and the Zika virus, warning that its epidemic potential highlights the global risk posed by fast-spreading outbreaks.
Belgian authorities are examining suspected cases of infants falling ill after consuming recalled Nestle baby formula, amid warnings that confirmed infections may be underestimated due to limited testing requirements.
Two Nipah infections involving health workers in India have triggered heightened screening across Southeast Asia as authorities move to prevent the high fatality virus from spreading beyond the country.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment