Zelenskyy rejects EU “associate membership” proposal
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has rejected a German proposal to grant Ukraine “associate” membership of the European Union, warning it w...
Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney has announced a national trade plan and relief measures as Canada faces rising economic pressure from U.S. tariffs.
Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney says he and the country’s premiers have agreed to develop a national trade strategy and announced a series of measures to support workers and businesses.
The announcement followed a meeting with provincial leaders in Ottawa, where some premiers urged the swift removal of internal trade barriers to strengthen Canada’s economic resilience.
The move comes as U.S. President Donald Trump escalated his trade war with Canada last week by imposing 25 percent tariffs on all steel and aluminum imports, prompting Canada to double its retaliatory tariffs on U.S. goods.
Carney said the federal government will waive the one-week waiting period for employment insurance for workers who lose their jobs due to the tariffs. He also announced that Canadian businesses will be temporarily allowed to defer income tax payments to improve cash flow.
Carney added that eliminating interprovincial trade barriers to the movement of workers, goods, and services could boost Canada’s economy by $250 billion—equivalent to more than $6,000 per Canadian.
Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko has said Belarus will not be dragged into the war in Ukraine, while also stressing that Minsk and Moscow would jointly respond to any aggression against them.
Fighting in the Russia–Ukraine war has intensified sharply, with both sides launching significant strikes far beyond the front lines as the conflict enters its 1,549th day.
As the 13th edition of the World Urban Forum ended, Azerbaijan's Pavilion showcased reconstruction efforts in its liberated territories and foregrounded the importance of mine removal in resettlement efforts.
A French appeals court has found Airbus and Air France guilty of corporate manslaughter over the 2009 Rio–Paris crash, marking a major development in a case that has stretched on for 17 years.
Start your day informed with the AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top stories for the 22nd May, covering the latest developments you need to know.
The World Health Organisation has warned that the risk of a widening Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) has escalated to “very high” at national level.
A luxury polar expedition vessel linked to a hantavirus outbreak has arrived in Rotterdam, where health authorities have placed the final 27 people on board into quarantine and have begun containment measures.
Medical teams are being rushed to eastern Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) following a fast-moving Ebola outbreak that has already caused dozens of suspected deaths and raised fears of wider regional spread.
The World Health Organisation’s designation of the Bundibugyo Ebola virus outbreak as a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC) is a stark reminder that Ebola remains a persistent global health threat rather than a disease of the past.
The risk from hantavirus to the general public remains very low, and the U.S. Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has more than 100 staff members actively working on the outbreak, a governmental health official said on Wednesday.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment