UK defence secretary expresses hope to deploy British troops to Ukraine
The United Kingdom Defence Secretary John Healey has said he hopes to be the minister who oversees the deployment of British troops to Ukraine, arguin...
Sudan is facing a worsening cholera outbreak, with 1,351 cases and 58 deaths reported in White Nile State over three days. Contaminated water, linked to conflict-related infrastructure damage, is fuelling the crisis.
The Sudanese Health Ministry reported on Saturday that southern Sudan has recorded 1,351 cholera cases, including 58 fatalities.
The ministry highlighted the “rapid spread of the cholera outbreak in Kosti city, White Nile State,” noting that 1,351 cases and 58 deaths were documented within three days.
It attributed the outbreak to contaminated drinking water, resulting from the shutdown of Kosti’s main water station. This occurred after the Rapid Support Forces militia targeted the Um Dabakir electricity station in White Nile State.
According to the ministry, the government's swift response has played a crucial role in slowing the rise in cases. Key interventions include restoring operations at Kosti’s main water station, launching a cholera vaccination campaign, ensuring the availability of IV fluids, and expanding bed capacity at the isolation center.
The Sudan Doctors Network previously reported 1,197 cholera cases and 83 related deaths in White Nile State over two days.
Sudan’s Health Ministry stated that since the outbreak began in August, the total number of cholera cases across the country has reached 53,735, with 1,430 deaths.
This health crisis is unfolding amid the ongoing civil conflict between the Sudanese army and the RSF, which has been ongoing since April 2023, resulting in thousands of deaths and widespread displacement.
A seven-month-old Japanese macaque has drawn international attention after forming an unusual bond with a stuffed orangutan toy after being rejected by its mother.
Quentin Griffiths, co-founder of online fashion retailer ASOS, has died in Pattaya, Thailand, after falling from the 17th floor of a condominium on 9 February, Thai police confirmed.
Divers have recovered the bodies of seven Chinese tourists and a Russian driver after their minibus broke through the ice of on Lake Baikal in Russia, authorities said.
UK politicians have renewed calls for Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly Prince Andrew, to be removed from the line of succession following his arrest on suspicion of misconduct in public office and revelations over his links to convicted U.S. sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.
President Donald Trump said on Saturday (21 February) that he will raise temporary tariffs on nearly all U.S. imports from 10% to 15%, the maximum allowed under the law, after the Supreme Court struck down his previous tariff program.
Measles cases across Europe and Central Asia fell sharply in 2025 compared to the previous year but health officials have warned that the risk of fresh outbreaks remains unless vaccination gaps are urgently addressed.
A Florida university has become a new hotspot in a widening U.S. measles outbreak, with health officials confirming multiple infections and hospitalisations.
The World Health Organization has added the Nipah virus to its list of the world’s top 10 priority diseases, alongside COVID-19 and the Zika virus, warning that its epidemic potential highlights the global risk posed by fast-spreading outbreaks.
Belgian authorities are examining suspected cases of infants falling ill after consuming recalled Nestle baby formula, amid warnings that confirmed infections may be underestimated due to limited testing requirements.
Two Nipah infections involving health workers in India have triggered heightened screening across Southeast Asia as authorities move to prevent the high fatality virus from spreading beyond the country.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment