Kazakhstan concludes first Kurultai election with turnout at 74.19%
Kazakhstan has concluded its first election to the new unicameral Kurultai, with turnout reaching 74.19 per cent, as vote counting begins following...
U.S. President Donald Trump on Tuesday warned that Vladimir Putin is “playing with fire” by refusing to engage in ceasefire talks with Ukraine, as Russian forces make new territorial gains in the country’s northeast.
The comment followed intensified Russian attacks and growing concern in Washington over stalled peace efforts.
“What Vladimir Putin doesn't realize is that if it weren't for me, lots of really bad things would have already happened in Russia, and I mean REALLY BAD. He's playing with fire,” Trump wrote on Truth Social. He did not elaborate.

Trump’s post followed a series of deadly Russian drone and missile strikes in Ukraine—some of the most intense since the war began over three years ago—and came as frustration mounts over Moscow’s lack of progress on peace negotiations.
Russian Security Council official Dmitry Medvedev hit back online, writing: “Regarding Trump's words about Putin 'playing with fire' and 'really bad things' happening to Russia. I only know of one REALLY BAD thing — WWIII. I hope Trump understands this!”
Despite his past efforts to maintain strong ties with Putin, Trump has increasingly criticized the Kremlin’s actions. On Sunday, he said Putin had “gone absolutely CRAZY” following a massive aerial assault on Ukraine.

Putin had previously said after a call with Trump that Moscow was willing to work with Ukraine on a draft memorandum outlining a path to peace. That document is still in the works, according to the Kremlin. Kyiv and its Western allies continue to call for an immediate, unconditional ceasefire of at least 30 days.
U.S. envoy for Ukraine Keith Kellogg said Tuesday that Russia had promised to deliver a peace proposal, which would then be compared with Ukraine’s existing submission to identify common ground. Once Moscow sends over the memorandum, the next round of peace talks is expected to take place in Geneva.
Meanwhile, Russia is advancing on the battlefield. Ukrainian officials confirmed that four villages in the Sumy region—Novenke, Basivka, Veselivka and Zhuravka—had been captured by Russian troops. The region’s governor said the areas had already been evacuated, but the gains mark a worrying development as Moscow pushes closer to the border city of Sumy.
Russia’s Defence Ministry also claimed it had taken the nearby village of Bilovody. Officials in Kyiv say Russian troops, using motorcycles and drones, are widening their assaults along the northern front as they seek to establish a buffer zone—a concept Putin has publicly supported in recent months.
Ukrainian forces previously used the Sumy region to push into Russia’s Kursk area, but were largely driven back by April. Now, Russian attacks in Sumy have escalated alongside renewed offensives in Donetsk, Kharkiv and Zaporizhzhia, stretching Ukraine’s defense lines.
President Volodymyr Zelenskyy warned on Monday that Russia is preparing further offensives and remains committed to prolonging the war. Despite repeated calls from Kyiv, Trump has yet to impose new sanctions on Russia, though officials say a fresh package is ready if needed.
As fighting continues and diplomacy stalls, pressure is building on all sides to restart meaningful talks and prevent further escalation.
Iran on Saturday denounced U.S. plans to announce new sanctions that could put further strain on the Islamic Republic's economy and have an impact on its most important trading partners including China.
A large-scale drone attack has hit Russia's Samara region, damaging facilities and disrupting operations at an Ozon logistics complex, according to regional authorities and the company.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has rejected calls for a wartime election, arguing that holding a vote while Russia's full-scale invasion continues would divide the country and undermine national unity.
U.S. President Donald Trump said Iran was not ready to make what he called the "right deal" with Washington as tensions persisted over the war and the Strait of Hormuz.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 22nd of August, covering the latest developments.
The Democratic Republic of Congo is set to receive 70,000 doses of the Ebola vaccine Ervebo as health authorities race to contain what has become the country's largest Ebola outbreak on record.
Kazakhstanis went to the polls on Sunday in a snap parliamentary election held under the country’s new constitutional system, which replaces the former two-chamber parliament with a single 145-seat legislature known as the Kurultai.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has rejected calls for a wartime election, arguing that holding a vote while Russia's full-scale invasion continues would divide the country and undermine national unity.
Syria expects negotiations with Israel over a security agreement to resume soon despite deep mistrust between the two sides, Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani said in an interview with Reuters, urging Israel to seize an "historic opportunity" as the door for diplomacy is open.
India's Coast Guard and Navy continued search-and-rescue operations off the eastern coast on Sunday after a Panama-flagged cargo vessel carrying 24 crew sank, with two Chinese nationals rescued, a senior official said.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment