Bangladesh arrests former minister and 15 others over alleged plot against interim government
Authorities in Bangladesh have arrested 16 people, including former minister Abdul Latif Siddique, on charges of attempting to topple the interim gove...
Austria is basking in the glow of a triumphant Eurovision Song Contest victory, but celebrations have quickly turned to practical concerns over where to host next year’s event and how to pay for it, officials said Sunday.
The country's third Eurovision win came courtesy of 24-year-old operatic pop singer Johannes Pietsch, known as JJ, whose rousing performance of "Wasted Love" clinched victory in Basel, Switzerland overnight. While fans celebrated, government and media discussions immediately shifted to the tens of millions of euros that hosting the contest is expected to cost.
Austria's public broadcaster ORF and the federal government are now locked in negotiations over venue selection and cost-sharing. “We are in intensive discussions with Austrian officialdom,” said ORF Director General Roland Weissmann, who pledged a “transparent process” for choosing the host city.
Vienna, Austria’s capital and largest city, hosted Eurovision in 2015 after Conchita Wurst won in 2014 with "Rise Like a Phoenix", and is widely expected to be a leading candidate again. JJ, who hails from Vienna, has publicly backed the capital as the next host and even suggested that he would like to co-host the show and “fly into the opening ceremony.”
However, the win comes at a difficult moment for Austria’s finances. The newly formed centrist coalition government is dealing with a growing budget deficit, which has exceeded the EU’s 3% threshold, and the country is now in its third consecutive year of economic contraction. Earlier this week, the government unveiled a belt-tightening budget, making the prospect of funding a major international spectacle politically sensitive.
Vice Chancellor and Culture Minister Andreas Babler, appearing on ORF after the contest, confirmed only that “serious discussions” are underway regarding logistics and funding.
While exact costs have not been disclosed, previous Eurovision contests have cost host countries between €25 million and €50 million. The funding structure typically involves a combination of fees from participating broadcasters, host city contributions, and revenue from sponsorships, ticket sales, and public voting.
Still, despite the fiscal concerns, political leaders have reacted with humor and pride. Finance Minister Markus Marterbauer shared a tongue-in-cheek post on Instagram, joking that he had voted for favorite Sweden 3,000 times in an attempt to spare Austria the hosting burden. “It wasn’t enough…” he wrote.
More than a dozen Austrian cities have reportedly expressed early interest in hosting, but ORF officials stressed that no decision has yet been made. A final selection is expected in the coming weeks as budget discussions continue.
For now, Austria celebrates JJ’s victory while preparing for the challenge—and opportunity—of bringing Europe’s biggest music event to the country once again.
A powerful eruption at Japan’s Shinmoedake volcano sent an ash plume more than 3,000 metres high on Sunday morning, prompting safety warnings from authorities.
According to the German Research Centre for Geosciences (GFZ), a magnitude 5.7 earthquake struck the Oaxaca region of Mexico on Saturday.
The UK is gearing up for Exercise Pegasus 2025, its largest pandemic readiness test since COVID-19. Running from September to November, this full-scale simulation will challenge the country's response to a fast-moving respiratory outbreak.
A Polish Air Force pilot was killed on Thursday when an F-16 fighter jet crashed during a training flight ahead of the 2025 Radom International Air Show.
U.S. President Donald Trump’s Middle East Special Envoy, Steve Witkoff, met with Ukrainian officials in New York on Wednesday to discuss the ongoing peace process with Russia, sources said.
Authorities in Bangladesh have arrested 16 people, including former minister Abdul Latif Siddique, on charges of attempting to topple the interim government, local media reported Friday.
Kazakhstan and Tajikistan pledged to expand cooperation and strengthen regional stability during Kazakh Foreign Minister Murat Nurtleu’s official visit to Dushanbe this week.
European Union defence ministers have backed plans to expand military training operations inside Ukraine after any ceasefire, EU foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas confirmed on Friday.
Houthi Prime Minister Ahmed al-Rahawi was reportedly killed alongside several of his associates in the recent Israeli strikes in Yemen according to reports from local media.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment