Türkiye’s Gaza role depends on U.S.–Israel political consensus
Türkiye has signalled readiness to contribute to a proposed Gaza stabilisation force during the inaugural Board of Peace meeting on Thursday (19 Febr...
German President Frank-Walter Steinmeier assured NATO allies on Monday that Germany would enhance its military and infrastructure contributions to Europe's defense, in response to the ongoing war in Ukraine and growing concerns over the U.S. commitment to European security.
German President Frank-Walter Steinmeier assured NATO allies on Monday that Germany would increase its commitment to Europe's defence, marking a significant shift from the past when the country joined the alliance more than 70 years ago. Speaking at a ceremony in NATO's Brussels headquarters, Steinmeier emphasized that Germany is now in a pivotal position as Russia's invasion of Ukraine continues and the U.S. presses its European partners.
“We’ve received the message, and you can count on us,” Steinmeier said, adding that Germany would strive to make its military and infrastructure a cornerstone of conventional defence in Europe.
Germany's commitment comes at a time of major change. Under the leadership of the incoming conservative chancellor, Friedrich Merz, Berlin has approved a historic fiscal plan that includes a €500 billion ($569 billion) special fund for infrastructure and defence, signalling a break from the country’s longstanding policy of fiscal restraint.
Steinmeier acknowledged Germany’s complex history and how, until now, the country’s role in the world had been shaped by caution and integration into larger structures such as NATO and the European Union. However, he said, “Putin has brought war back to this continent,” and a poorly armed Germany poses a greater threat to Europe than a well-equipped one.
Germany's increase in defence spending follows growing concerns about Europe's security and the waning reliability of U.S. support, particularly after President Donald Trump’s criticism of European allies. Germany, which joined NATO in 1955 during the Cold War, has significantly bolstered its defence strategy since the reunification of East and West Germany in 1990.
Israel is preparing for the possibility of receiving a green light from the United States to launch strikes against Iran’s ballistic missile system, according to Israel’s public broadcaster KAN.
Aghdam’s Qarabag FK experienced a 6–1 defeat to England’s Newcastle United in the first leg of their UEFA Champions League play-off tie in Azerbaijan's capital Baku Wednesday evening (18 February).
U.S. President Donald Trump’s 'Board of Peace' will hold its first leaders’ meeting on Thursday (19 February) in Washington, D.C., launching an initiative aimed at stabilising Gaza and addressing global conflicts. It's drawn support from regional powers but refusals from several EU countries.
The Board of Peace will be "looking over the United Nations," said U.S. President Donald Trump at the inaugural Washington meeting, where representatives from over 20 countries gathered to unveil plans for Gaza’s reconstruction and coordinate international support.
Russian President Vladimir Putin met Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez in the Kremlin on Wednesday, telling him that new restrictions imposed on the communist-run island were unacceptable.
Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov reaffirmed Russia’s support on Friday (20 February) for the negotiation process between Washington and Tehran amid escalating regional tensions.
Relations between Russia and Japan have effectively collapsed due to Tokyo’s “unfriendly” stance towards Moscow, the Kremlin said on Friday (20 February), adding that there is currently no dialogue aimed at concluding a peace treaty.
A UN investigation says the Rapid Support Forces assault on al-Fashir, in western Sudan, showed signs of genocide, citing mass killings, coordinated attacks and exterminatory language targeting non-Arab groups.
Hungary will release 250,000 tonnes of crude oil from its strategic reserves following a halt in flows on the Druzhba pipeline. The decision was announced in a government decree published late on Thursday.
Indonesia and the United States have finalised a trade agreement lowering U.S. tariffs on Indonesian goods to 19% from 32%, with exemptions secured for palm oil and several other major exports.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment