South Korea seeks talks after Trump orders cut to U.S. military drills
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military...
The European Union is prepared to retaliate against U.S. tariffs but prefers a negotiated resolution, European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen said. She warned that U.S. tariffs would fuel inflation and harm jobs while urging the EU to remove internal trade barriers.
The European Union has a "robust plan" to respond to tariffs imposed and due to be imposed by U.S. President Donald Trump, although it would prefer to reach a negotiated settlement, European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen stated on Tuesday.
The Trump administration introduced tariffs on imported steel and aluminium in March, with higher duties on cars set to come into force on Thursday. Additionally, Trump is expected to outline plans for "reciprocal tariffs" on Wednesday.
Von der Leyen acknowledged U.S. concerns that global trade rules had been exploited by certain countries, noting that the EU had also faced similar challenges. She further recognised the U.S. ambition to re-industrialise, a goal shared by the EU.
However, she argued that U.S. tariffs effectively serve as taxes on its own consumers, exacerbating inflation and increasing costs for American manufacturers reliant on imported components, ultimately leading to job losses.
"Our aim is a negotiated resolution. However, if necessary, we will safeguard our interests, our citizens, and our businesses," von der Leyen said in an address to the European Parliament in Strasbourg.
"We do not seek retaliation, but if required, we have a robust response plan, and we will implement it."
Von der Leyen also stressed the need for the EU to diversify its trade and eliminate internal barriers that hinder cross-border commerce within its single market.
She cited the International Monetary Fund's assessment that Europe’s internal market barriers equate to a 45% tariff on manufacturing and 110% on services.
Addressing EU lawmakers, she stated that the Commission would present proposals next month aimed at dismantling some of these barriers and preventing the emergence of new ones.
At least 11 people were killed in Israeli strikes on southern Lebanon on Saturday, among the deadliest since a June ceasefire. Meanwhile, Qatar denied holding Iranian pilots. It said it had found the remains of one pilot after an airspace violation and had contacted Iran to coordinate a handover.
A wildfire in Croatia driven by strong winds descended on the tourist town of Omis overnight, engulfing houses, forcing about 1,000 people to evacuate to safety and injuring dozens, fire brigade and health officials said on Friday.
U.S. President Donald Trump's threats to make the Strait of Hormuz part of U.S. territory have been mocked by Iran's Deputy Foreign Minister, Kazem Gharibabadi, who said the sea passage "cannot be seized by tweet."
Russia and Ukraine traded large-scale overnight attacks targeting energy, industrial and military facilities on Saturday, with a three-month-old baby killed and 11 people injured in a Russian drone strike on a residential building in Ukraine’s Dnipropetrovsk region.
For fishermen along Pakistan’s southwestern coast, the consequences of the U.S.-Iran conflict are being felt far from the battlefield.
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military drills. It added that it hoped a favorable relationship between Washington and Pyongyang could lead to meaningful talks.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 17th of August, covering the latest developments.
Rescuers in eastern Indonesia will search collapsed buildings on Monday for survivors who may still be trapped under the rubble after a deadly earthquake killed at least 53 people. The country is marking its Independence Day as it reels from the latest tremors.
More than 183,000 customers across Hawaii were without power as Tropical Storm Lala weakened after bringing hurricane-force winds, heavy rain, and flooding to the islands.
Canadian measures aimed at preventing terrorist financing can obstruct legitimate humanitarian work by Muslim charities, particularly when aid is destined for countries considered high-risk, according to a new study.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment