FM Abbas Araghchi arrives in Geneva ahead of second round of Iran-U.S. nuclear talks
Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi arrived in Geneva on Monday ahead of a second round of indirect nuclear talks with the United States, accordi...
The US has vowed to keep striking Yemen’s Houthis until they stop attacks on shipping, as the Iran-aligned group signalled potential escalation following US airstrikes that reportedly killed at least 31 people.
The US launched a series of airstrikes on Yemen, targeting Houthi military sites in Sanaa and Taiz. The strikes, which the Houthi-run health ministry said killed 31 people, mark the largest US military operation in the Middle East since Donald Trump took office. A US official told Reuters the campaign could continue for weeks.
Houthi officials condemned the strikes as a "war crime" and vowed to respond. The group's military spokesperson claimed they had launched ballistic missiles and drones at the USS Harry S. Truman in the Red Sea, though the US denied the claim.
US Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth stated: “The minute the Houthis say we'll stop shooting at your ships, we'll stop shooting at your drones. This campaign will be unrelenting until then.” He blamed Iran for supporting the Houthis, warning that “they better back off.”
The Houthis, who control large parts of Yemen, had previously threatened to target Israeli-linked ships in response to the Gaza conflict. They intensified attacks on Red Sea shipping after the Israel-Hamas war escalated in late 2023.
Iran’s top commander, Hossein Salami, dismissed US accusations, stating that the Houthis act independently. However, US Secretary of State Marco Rubio insisted Iran was responsible for supplying the group with military support.
Moscow urged Washington to halt the strikes, with Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov calling for diplomatic dialogue. Meanwhile, reports emerged of civilian casualties, including women and children, though Reuters could not independently verify the claims.
US strikes also hit a power station in Dahyan, a site linked to Houthi leader Abdul Malik al-Houthi. Residents in Sanaa described the impact as "violent," with footage showing rescue operations and damaged buildings.
The Houthi attacks on shipping have disrupted global trade, forcing the US to engage in costly defensive operations. The group had paused its attacks following an Israel-Hamas ceasefire in January but resumed threats on March 12, linking their actions to aid restrictions on Gaza.
U.S. Ambassador to NATO Matthew Whitaker said China has the power to bring an end to Russia’s war in Ukraine, arguing that Beijing is enabling Moscow’s military campaign.
Austria’s Janine Flock won the gold medal in the women’s skeleton event at the Milano-Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics on Saturday.
U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Sunday (15 February) called it “troubling” a report by five European allies blaming Russia for killing late Kremlin critic Alexei Navalny using a toxin from poison dart frogs.
Iran’s Supreme National Security Council Secretary Ali Larijani said the United States could evaluate its own interests separately from those of Israel in ongoing negotiations between Tehran and Washington.
Israeli army chief Eyal Zamir said on Friday (13 February) that Israel remains committed to the complete demilitarization of the Gaza Strip and the disarmament of Hamas, calling for intensified operations to destroy tunnel networks and control access along the ceasefire line.
The United States has carried out its first air transport of a nuclear microreactor on a cargo plane, flying the unit from California to Utah in a demonstration designed to show the technology can be rapidly deployed for military and civilian use.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief: here are the top news stories for the 16th of February, covering the latest developments you need to know.
Former Ukrainian energy minister German Galushchenko has been detained while attempting to leave the country, anti-corruption authorities said on Sunday.
Britain and Germany’s highest ranking military chiefs have made an unprecedented joint appeal to the public to accept the “moral” case for rearmament and prepare for the threat of war with Russia.
Norway is holding a commanding lead in the medal standings with 12 golds and a total of 26, with Italy having an historic performance on home soil on the ninth day of the Milano-Cortina Winter Olympics on Sunday (15 February).
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment