Colombia's president says early quake losses estimated at $9.6 billion
The economic losses from a powerful earthquake that struck Colombia ...
NASA announced on Monday a series of organizational changes that include eliminating its chief scientist role and shutting down key policy offices, resulting in layoffs affecting 23 employees.
Acting Administrator Janet Petro conveyed the decision via an internal email, which was later seen by Reuters.
The restructuring will see the closure of the Office of the Chief Scientist, the Office of Science, Policy, and Strategy, and the diversity, equity, and inclusion branch within the Office of Diversity and Equal Opportunity. For decades, the chief scientist position has played a critical advisory role in shaping the agency’s focus on space science and astronomy—a role that was only previously discontinued between 2005 and 2011.
A NASA spokesperson confirmed that 23 employees will be affected by these cuts. The decision is part of a broader effort to realign the agency’s priorities amid evolving challenges and budgetary pressures. While the agency has not elaborated on the long-term strategic implications, observers suggest the move may signal a shift in how NASA integrates scientific expertise into its mission planning and policy development.
As NASA navigates these changes, industry experts and internal stakeholders are watching closely to assess the potential impact on the agency’s research and innovation capabilities in an era marked by rapid technological advancements and heightened scrutiny of space policy.
At least 11 people were killed in Israeli strikes on southern Lebanon on Saturday, among the deadliest since a June ceasefire. Meanwhile, Qatar denied holding Iranian pilots. It said it had found the remains of one pilot after an airspace violation and had contacted Iran to coordinate a handover.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
A wildfire in Croatia driven by strong winds descended on the tourist town of Omis overnight, engulfing houses, forcing about 1,000 people to evacuate to safety and injuring dozens, fire brigade and health officials said on Friday.
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military drills. It added that it hoped a favourable relationship between Washington and Pyongyang could lead to meaningful talks.
Residents of villages in eastern Indonesia hit by a deadly earthquake that killed at least 54 people were awaiting aid on Monday as rescuers prepared to comb through collapsed buildings in search of people trapped beneath the rubble.
The economic losses from a powerful earthquake that struck Colombia last week are expected to reach 30 trillion pesos ($9.58 billion), Colombia's President Abelardo De La Espriella said on Monday.
Taiwan is preparing to spend more money on its military than ever before, with President Lai Ching-te announcing plans for a record defence budget of $31.4 billion for 2027, taking military spending above three per cent of GDP for the first time.
German Chancellor Friedrich Merz is facing growing pressure as his approval ratings fall and the far-right Alternative for Germany (AfD) party gains support.
Central Asia has become a major focus for Eurasian transport investment, with $71.7 billion committed to 114 projects, according to the Eurasian Development Bank’s 2026 Transport Observatory.
The European Union is preparing what foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas has described as its most far-reaching sanctions package against Russia since the war in Ukraine began.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment