live Trump says U.S. not seeking to extend interim deal with Iran
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with...
France has initiated its formal withdrawal process from Senegal by transferring control of two military facilities to the Senegalese government, according to a statement from the French Embassy in Senegal.
The handover, which took place in the Maréchal and Saint-Exupéry districts near Hann Park, marks a significant step in Paris’s efforts to reduce its military presence in West Africa.
Senegal’s President Bassirou Diomaye Faye had ordered the departure of all foreign troops from the country late last year, a move reflecting the new government’s hard-line stance against the lingering legacy of colonial influence. “The French side handed over to the Senegalese side the facilities and housing in the Maréchal and Saint-Exupéry districts on Friday, March 7, 2025,” the embassy said in its statement, noting that these districts had been ready for return since the summer of 2024.
In recent months, Paris has been working closely with Dakar, establishing a joint commission last month to coordinate the withdrawal process. The move comes amid broader regional trends, as several African nations—including Chad, Niger, and Burkina Faso—have also taken steps to reduce or expel French military forces.
The French army recently announced the dismissal of 162 Senegalese personnel who worked on its military bases, underscoring the deepening recalibration of France’s role on the continent. Paris has stated its intention to sharply reduce its military footprint in Africa, maintaining a notable presence only in Djibouti, while offering defense training or targeted support based on individual country needs.
This development is part of an ongoing reassessment of foreign military engagement in Africa, as governments in the region push back against what they view as an overbearing colonial legacy and call for greater national sovereignty over security affairs.
At least 11 people were killed in Israeli strikes on southern Lebanon on Saturday, among the deadliest since a June ceasefire. Meanwhile, Qatar denied holding Iranian pilots. It said it had found the remains of one pilot after an airspace violation and had contacted Iran to coordinate a handover.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
A wildfire in Croatia driven by strong winds descended on the tourist town of Omis overnight, engulfing houses, forcing about 1,000 people to evacuate to safety and injuring dozens, fire brigade and health officials said on Friday.
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military drills. It added that it hoped a favourable relationship between Washington and Pyongyang could lead to meaningful talks.
Residents of villages in eastern Indonesia hit by a deadly earthquake that killed at least 54 people were awaiting aid on Monday as rescuers prepared to comb through collapsed buildings in search of people trapped beneath the rubble.
Nearly a week after a powerful 7.4-magnitude earthquake struck western Colombia, hopes of finding more survivors are fading as rescue teams search collapsed buildings and communities confront widespread destruction.
Central Asia has become a major focus for Eurasian transport investment, with $71.7 billion committed to 114 projects, according to the Eurasian Development Bank’s 2026 Transport Observatory.
The European Union is preparing what foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas has described as its most far-reaching sanctions package against Russia since the war in Ukraine began.
Weeks after thousands of students protested in New Delhi over alleged failures in India’s examination system, the so-called Cockroach movement is taking its campaign to the grassroots, launching audits of state-run schools.
UNESCO Director-General Khaled El-Enany visited Ukraine for the first time since taking office, meeting Foreign Minister Andrii Sybiha in Kyiv on 15 August to discuss protecting the country’s cultural heritage amid continued Russian attacks.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment