Dozens of children injured in explosion at Kabul education centre
At least 42 children were injured in an explosion at an educational centre in western Kabul on Monday, sparking international calls for a full inve...
France's most devastating wildfire in nearly 80 years has been contained after burning through 16,000 hectares of land in the south. Authorities warn the risk of reignition remains.
The massive wildfire that erupted on Tuesday in southern France in the Aude department has now been brought under control, local officials confirmed on Thursday. But despite containment, the area remains on high alert.
Nearly 2,000 firefighters will stay deployed in the region over the coming days to secure the scorched terrain and prevent any flare-ups. Drone footage has captured a hellish landscape, swathes of charred earth, blackened forests, and gutted homes.
The inferno, which became the country's largest wildfire in almost eight decades, tore through 16,000 hectares of forest and villages, close to the Spanish border and Mediterranean coast. Some French media reported the damage might stretch to 17,000 hectares.
One woman was killed after reportedly ignoring evacuation orders to flee to safer areas. Eighteen others were injured, including 16 firefighters battling the blaze. The flames also destroyed 36 homes and damaged 20 more. Around 2,000 residents and tourists were forced to leave their homes.
At the height of the crisis, 5,000 households lost power. As of Thursday evening, around 1,500 homes remained without electricity. Roads in the affected area remain closed due to fallen power lines and uninspected damage, and residents are still barred from returning home without clearance.
Deputy prefect Rémi Recio told reporters that the fire's pace had slowed due to a change in weather conditions, particularly shifting winds. However, the danger has not passed.
The wildfire spread at an unusually rapid rate, driven by strong winds and months of drought, which left vegetation dangerously dry. Plumes of smoke were still visible over the Aude region on Thursday.
As France braces for more heatwaves and dry spells, officials say this disaster could be a grim preview of what climate change has in store for southern Europe
At least 11 people were killed in Israeli strikes on southern Lebanon on Saturday, among the deadliest since a June ceasefire. Meanwhile, Qatar denied holding Iranian pilots. It said it had found the remains of one pilot after an airspace violation and had contacted Iran to coordinate a handover.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military drills. It added that it hoped a favourable relationship between Washington and Pyongyang could lead to meaningful talks.
Britain will continue to support Ukraine “100 per cent” against Russia’s invasion, Prime Minister Andy Burnham said on Tuesday, after Moscow warned London of consequences over reports that British-made drones had been used in strikes on Russian territory.
Russia has summoned Japan’s ambassador to Moscow and delivered a strong protest over what it called “anti-Russian” remarks by Japanese Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi and Foreign Minister Toshimitsu Motegi concerning four disputed islands.
Pakistan is turning to more U.S. crude as disruption around the Strait of Hormuz exposes the risks of its heavy reliance on Gulf energy supplies.
U.S. Forces Korea (USFK) Commander Xavier Brunson visited South Korea's Defence Ministry on Tuesday to discuss plans to scale back the joint Ulchi Freedom Shield military exercise, according to media reports.
European countries are stepping up investment in drones and counter-drone technology as unmanned systems reshape modern warfare, driving demand for new production and capabilities across the continent.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment