Iran condemns U.S. plans to announce new sanctions
Iran on Saturday denounced U.S. plans to announce new sanctions that could put further strain on the Islamic Repub...
Syria expects negotiations with Israel over a security agreement to resume soon despite deep mistrust between the two sides, Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani said in an interview with Reuters, urging Israel to seize an "historic opportunity" as the door for diplomacy is open.
Al-Shaibani said Damascus wants the talks to restart after they were frozen following the Iran war, while stressing that Syria’s immediate priority is ending Israeli attacks and restoring confidence.
“We do not trust Israel currently,” al-Shaibani said, adding that contact would only be useful if it produced results.
The talks have been supported by Washington, which has sought to broker a security arrangement between Israel and Syria’s new leadership for more than a year. But it has proven elusive as Israel has sent troops into Syrian territory and attacked government assets, citing threats to its security.
Al-Shaibani said Syria and Israel had agreed on paper to almost all elements of a potential security deal earlier this year, but implementation stalled.
The proposed agreement would include security zones near the Israeli border, including a buffer zone monitored only by the United Nations and other areas where Syrian forces would have limited deployments.
The Syrian foreign minister said the agreement would require Israel to halt attacks on Syria and withdraw from territory seized after the fall of Bashar al-Assad’s government.
However, he accused Israel of avoiding implementation, saying Damascus did not see a genuine willingness from Israel to reach an agreement.
Al-Shaibani said negotiations over the security agreement had been frozen since the start of the Iran war, but he expected them to restart.
"We believe there should be contact, especially with a party that constantly threatens the security of Syria. But if this contact doesn’t bring results, then we don’t need it," Al-Shaibani said. "We do not trust Israel currently."
Sharaa has said Syria poses no threat to other countries, with Damascus focused on rebuilding from 14 years of war.
The Israeli prime minister's office did not respond to a request for comment.
The issue gained renewed attention after Israel carried out strikes on the Abu al-Duhur airbase near Aleppo last week (18 August), saying Syria was close to allowing Turkish forces to deploy there.
Syria and Türkiye rejected the claim.
Al-Shaibani said Syria respected Israel’s security concerns but argued that Israel must also respect Syria’s security, including ending airspace violations, raids and arrests.
He said the priority was first to stop Israeli military actions before moving toward broader discussions on peace and long-term issues, including the Golan Heights.
Israeli officials have talked about a range of potential dangers in Syria since Bashar al-Assad was toppled, with some describing the new rulers as barely disguised jihadists last year, even as al-Sharaa forged close U.S. ties.
In the days after Assad fell in 2024, Israel seized territory in southwest Syria, citing the need to safeguard its citizens against attack, and bombed scores of Syrian military sites.
"Israel has tried to maintain its security through brute force and it hasn’t succeeded" anywhere, al-Shaibani said. "I believe negotiations will resume soon."
No date has been set.
"The U.S. is trying continuously to put pressure on Israel to return to the dialogue table," he added.
Asked how optimistic he was, al-Shaibani said, "It’s very hard to bet on Israel." But Syria had "very great hope" of building stable relationships with its neighbours.
"Syria is extending its hand for understandings, for peace, for diplomacy" and regional stability.
U.S. special envoy for Syria Tom Barrack has said Washington is working to establish a mechanism to prevent conflict between Israel, Türkiye and Syria.
Al-Shaibani said no agreement had yet been reached on such a mechanism and argued that it should help end attacks and support a security deal rather than reinforce what he described as Israeli occupation.
He said Syria remains open to diplomacy and regional cooperation, while also maintaining ties with partners including Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Jordan.
Russia is open to listening to new proposals on how to reach a settlement on the Ukraine conflict, a senior Russian diplomat said, but any proposals should reflect the "realities on the ground".
A large-scale drone attack has hit Russia's Samara region, damaging facilities and disrupting operations at an Ozon logistics complex, according to regional authorities and the company.
Iran on Saturday denounced U.S. plans to announce new sanctions that could put further strain on the Islamic Republic's economy and have an impact on its most important trading partners including China.
U.S. President Donald Trump said Iran was not ready to make what he called the "right deal" with Washington as tensions persisted over the war and the Strait of Hormuz.
Türkiye said on Thursday it would continue helping Syria strengthen its military, despite rising tensions with Israel over Ankara’s role in the country.
Nordic and Baltic leaders arrived in Kyiv for Ukraine’s Flag Day on Sunday as Russia continued its drone campaign and Kyiv warned of a potential new Russian mobilisation.
India's Coast Guard and Navy continued search-and-rescue operations off the eastern coast on Sunday after a Panama-flagged cargo vessel carrying 24 crew sank, with two Chinese nationals rescued, a senior official said.
Taiwan President Lai Ching-te has called for continued military strength and national unity during a visit to the sensitive frontline island of Kinmen, saying peace must be protected "through strength."
The European Union’s Civil Protection Mechanism sent helicopters and firefighters to help Serbia fight a massive wildfire in a nature reserve in the northeast of the country, the head of the European Union mission to Belgrade said.
TikTok and its Chinese parent company, ByteDance, have agreed to pay $400 million to settle U.S. government allegations that the popular video-sharing app failed to properly protect children’s privacy.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment