Russian ballistic missile strike on Kyiv kills 5, Poland activates air defences
A Russian ballistic missile attack on Ukraine’s capital Kyiv has killed at least five people and injured more than two dozen others...
Lebanon has handed over former Syrian Major General Adel Issa to authorities in Damascus, where he faces charges including premeditated murder and torture resulting in death, Syria’s Interior Ministry said on Wednesday.
Issa, a senior military officer under ousted President Bashar al-Assad, was detained in Lebanon under a warrant issued by the Lebanese public prosecutor following an extradition request from Syrian authorities.
A Syrian investigative judge had also issued an arrest warrant for Issa in absentia.
According to the Interior Ministry, he is accused of premeditated murder, intentionally killing more than two people, facilitating a felony and torture resulting in death.
Issa also faces accusations of acts aimed at inciting civil war and sectarian strife.
Issa previously commanded the Syrian army’s 17th Division and later served as ground forces commander in the eastern province of Deir ez-Zor until 2016.
Deir ez-Zor was a major battleground during Syria’s civil war, with government forces, opposition groups and later the Islamic State competing for control of territory in the province.
The 17th Division was among the Syrian military formations operating in the region during the conflict.
Issa’s case has now been placed before a referral judge in Damascus, who will determine whether there is sufficient evidence to send him to the Damascus Criminal Court for trial.
The extradition comes as Syria’s post-Assad authorities step up efforts to prosecute former military, security and government officials accused of abuses during decades of Assad family rule and the civil war that began in 2011.
Assad’s government collapsed in December 2024 after opposition forces launched a rapid offensive and captured Damascus, ending more than five decades of rule by the Assad family. The former president subsequently fled to Russia.
Syrian authorities have since detained or sought the extradition of former regime figures as part of what they describe as a transitional justice process aimed at holding those responsible for killings, torture and other abuses accountable.
Issa’s transfer from Lebanon is among the cases involving former senior Syrian officials pursued across the border since Assad’s fall.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
A Russian ballistic missile attack on Ukraine’s capital Kyiv has killed at least five people and injured more than two dozen others, Ukrainian officials said, with fires reported across the city and Poland activating defensive air operations.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Britain has summoned Israel’s chargé d’affaires and demanded that the Israeli government withdraw a tender for construction in the controversial E1 settlement area in the West Bank.
The death toll from last week’s powerful earthquake in Colombia has risen to at least 314, while 262 people remain missing, President Abelardo De La Espriella said on Wednesday.
The grandmother of five-year-old Palestinian girl Hind Rajab has rejected an Israeli military investigation into her killing, saying the family does not trust the Israeli judiciary and calling instead for an independent international probe.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment