AnewZ Morning Brief -20 February, 2026
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief: here are the top news stories for the 20th of February, covering the latest developments you need to...
On January 27, approximately 1,500 migrants, mainly from Haiti and Venezuela, formed long lines outside the temporary facilities of the Mexican refugee office (COMAR) near Mexico City.
This surge follows the U.S. government's recent cancellation of the CBP One appointment system under President Donald Trump, which had previously allowed thousands of migrants to seek legal entry into the United States.
Migrants are frustrated by the U.S.'s intensified deportation policies, which reportedly include the use of military aircraft to expedite the process. The COMAR offices are struggling to manage the influx of asylum requests, processing only a small fraction of them daily.
Haitian migrant Vilson Anatol said that his opportunity to enter the U.S. is now over, and he has no choice but to remain in Mexico due to his country's political instability and the U.S.'s deportation policies. Ecuadorian Jessica Panchana, meanwhile, expressed how she risked her life and is now seeking refuge with her family as they face growing difficulties.
Venezuelan migrant Victor Sifontes highlighted that the COMAR office only serves 300 people daily, and with many people waiting, he shared information to help others avoid wasting time in line.
The drumbeats have finally faded at the Marquês de Sapucaí, bringing the competitive phase of the Rio Carnival 2026 to a dazzling close. Over two marathon nights of spectacle, the twelve elite schools of the "Special Group" transformed the Sambadrome into a riot of colour.
Israel is preparing for the possibility of receiving a green light from the United States to launch strikes against Iran’s ballistic missile system, according to Israel’s public broadcaster KAN.
Aghdam’s Qarabag FK experienced a 6–1 defeat to England’s Newcastle United in the first leg of their UEFA Champions League play-off tie in Azerbaijan's capital Baku Wednesday evening (18 February).
Qarabağ FK are facing Newcastle United in the UEFA Champions League play-off round on Wednesday evening in Baku, in what will be the first UEFA competition meeting between the two clubs.
U.S. President Donald Trump’s 'Board of Peace' will hold its first leaders’ meeting on Thursday (19 February) in Washington, D.C., launching an initiative aimed at stabilising Gaza and addressing global conflicts. It's drawn support from regional powers but refusals from several EU countries.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief: here are the top news stories for the 20th of February, covering the latest developments you need to know.
U.S. President Donald Trump said he would order agencies to begin releasing files on extraterrestrial life and Unidentified Anomalous Phenomena (UAP), calling for more openness while criticising Barack Obama over his recent alien remarks.
An Austrian climber has been convicted of gross negligent manslaughter after his girlfriend died from hypothermia while climbing Austria’s highest peak, the Grossglockner, in January 2025.
U.S. President Donald Trump warned Iran to strike a deal within 10-15 days or face "really bad things," after Geneva talks this week ended without a breakthrough despite claims of progress. The comment comes amid a buildup of military from both sides in the region.
Cubans are increasingly turning to solar power to keep businesses operating and basic household appliances running during prolonged electricity cuts, as fuel shortages make diesel generators and other temporary solutions more difficult and costly to maintain.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment