live Russia signals openness to new Ukraine peace ideas
Russia is open to listening to new proposals on how to reach a settlement on the Ukraine conflict, a senior Russia...
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi and his Omani counterpart Sayyid Badr Albusaidi have discussed arrangements to ensure the safe passage of ships through the Strait of Hormuz.
According to Iran's Foreign Ministry, Araghchi and Albusaidi exchanged views on mechanisms to safeguard navigation through the strategic waterway in line with the recent ceasefire agreement.
Oman's state news agency later said discussions would continue at both the technical and political levels.
The talks come as the United States seeks a public commitment from Tehran guaranteeing free and secure navigation through the Strait of Hormuz.
Senior U.S. officials said Washington wants Iran to publicly pledge that commercial vessels can transit the strait without attacks or additional restrictions.
CNN reported that Oman had proposed a framework allowing free navigation through the southern shipping corridor in Omani territorial waters. Vessels using the northern corridor in Iranian waters would require prior approval from Tehran without paying transit fees.
The White House and State Department did not immediately comment on the report.
Oman has played a central mediating role in efforts to end the conflict that began after U.S. and Israeli airstrikes on Iran in February.
A senior Iranian source told Reuters that Iran, the United States, Qatar and Pakistan were seeking to arrange further negotiations while Araghchi was in Muscat.
However it was not immediately clear whether those talks had taken place.
No new attacks were reported on Friday (10 July) or Saturday, despite heightened tensions earlier in the week.
The latest diplomatic contacts follow attacks on commercial shipping that prompted U.S. strikes on Iranian targets and retaliatory Iranian attacks on U.S. military facilities in the Gulf.
Iran has denied responsibility for the attacks on commercial vessels, although analysts say such incidents have increased pressure on negotiations.
President Donald Trump said on Friday that Washington had agreed to continue talks with Tehran. He also declared the ceasefire "over", warning that future progress would depend on Iran's actions.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 20th of August, covering the latest developments.
Five years after Evergrande's debt crisis rattled global markets, founder Hui Ka Yan has been sentenced to life in prison, marking a dramatic new chapter in the downfall of China's former property giant.
Russian ballistic missile strikes on Ukraine’s capital Kyiv has killed at least sixteen people and injured more than forty others, Ukrainian officials said, with fires reported across the city and Poland activating defensive air operations.
Russia is open to listening to new proposals on how to reach a settlement on the Ukraine conflict, a senior Russian diplomat said, but any proposals should reflect the "realities on the ground".
China and Indonesia have agreed to strengthen military ties and deepen cooperation in minerals, energy and technology as Jakarta balances relations with Beijing and Washington amid economic and geopolitical tensions.
An international conference in Baku on 21 August will put Belgium’s colonial record in Africa under renewed scrutiny. Officials, United Nations experts, researchers and human rights advocates are gathering to discuss whether the country has done enough to address the legacy of its rule.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 21st of August, covering the latest developments.
South African human rights and environmental groups have urged the government to block Israeli-linked Navitas Petroleum from acquiring a stake in a major offshore oil block, citing concerns over the war in Gaza and environmental risks.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment