Uzbekistan, Azerbaijan target $1 billion in trade by 2030
Uzbekistan and Azerbaijan are drawing up a new programme aimed at boosting bilateral trade to $1 billion by 2030, as the two countries move to deep...
A United Nations investigation has concluded that Sudan's paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) committed atrocities amounting to genocide during their siege and capture of el-Fasher in North Darfur last year, while concern is mounting that similar abuses could be unfolding around al-Obeid.
In a report released on Wednesday, the UN Fact-Finding Mission for Sudan said the RSF carried out mass killings, abductions of women and girls, gang rapes and deliberate starvation as part of what investigators described as an intentional and systematic campaign against civilians.
The report found that the RSF and allied groups committed the war crime of starvation by maintaining a prolonged siege on el-Fasher, obstructing humanitarian aid deliveries and targeting food production systems.
Investigators documented accounts from survivors who said they were sexually assaulted in rooms where the bodies of recently killed relatives and other civilians remained on the floor.
The latest findings build on an earlier report issued in February in which the UN mission concluded that the mass killings of non-Arab communities during the capture of el-Fasher bore the hallmarks of genocide.
According to the new report, evidence gathered since then indicates that the widespread pattern of killings, sexual violence and starvation was not incidental but formed part of a deliberate policy.
“The patterns we documented in el-Fasher, including encirclement, attacks on civilian infrastructure, restrictions on humanitarian access, and widespread abuses against civilians, serve as a stark warning,” said mission chairman Mohamed Chande Othman.
“The international community must heed these lessons and act to prevent further catastrophe,” he added.
The RSF has repeatedly denied accusations of abuses during Sudan's three-year civil war, claiming allegations are fabricated by its opponents while accusing rival forces of committing violations.
The warning comes as concern grows over developments in al-Obeid, the capital of North Kordofan state, where the RSF has concentrated forces in recent months.
Last week, UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Turk warned that a “catastrophe” could be unfolding around the city, citing reports of summary executions, abductions, torture and sexual violence.
On Monday, the UN Human Rights Council adopted a resolution condemning the escalating violence and establishing an urgent investigation into alleged abuses in and around al-Obeid.
Britain and several other countries have warned of the risk of mass atrocities as RSF forces gather around the city, which is home to around half a million people, including more than 83,000 internally displaced persons.
While international alarm continues to grow over the conflict, diplomatic efforts to seek a political solution are also gaining momentum.
Sudan's Transitional Sovereign Council chairman, Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, met African Union envoy Mohamed Belaiche in Khartoum on Wednesday to discuss the security situation, peace prospects and plans to reopen the AU liaison office in the Sudanese capital.
The meeting, attended by Foreign Minister Mohieddine Salem, formed part of the African Union's renewed engagement with Sudan following the government's return to Khartoum earlier this year after fighting pushed many state institutions out of the capital.
Belaiche said the discussions focused on advancing peace efforts and overcoming obstacles to stability.
He stressed the importance of de-escalation and described a ceasefire as a necessary first step towards resolving the crisis and launching a broader political process that includes all parties.
The AU envoy also reiterated support for an inclusive national dialogue based on reconciliation, peaceful coexistence and respect for Sudan's unity and sovereignty.
The African Union closed its liaison office in Khartoum after war broke out between the Sudanese army and the RSF in April 2023.
Two weeks ago, the AU Commission approved a rapid political and security assessment as a preliminary step towards reopening the office, following the Sudanese government's return to the capital in January and the resumption of operations by several UN agencies.
The renewed diplomatic engagement comes as Sudan's war continues to fuel one of the world's largest humanitarian crises, with millions displaced and warnings growing that the violence witnessed in el-Fasher could be repeated elsewhere unless urgent action is taken.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
Australia on Thursday condemned Israel’s decision to close its criminal investigation into the deaths of Australian aid worker Zomi Frankcom and six World Central Kitchen colleagues killed in Gaza in April 2024.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
North Korea has fired more than 10 short-range ballistic missiles after U.S. President Donald Trump reduced American participation in joint military exercises with South Korea in an effort to revive dialogue with Pyongyang.
Georgia’s foreign trade data for January-July 2026 shows Kyrgyzstan, China and Russia as its top three export markets, highlighting its Middle Corridor ambitions and complex economic ties with Moscow.
Kazakhstan will vote on 23 August in its first parliamentary election under the new Constitution, choosing 145 members of the new Kurultai under a fundamentally changed electoral system based entirely on party lists.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment