South Korea seeks talks after Trump orders cut to U.S. military drills
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military...
China's military has carried out a missile test from a nuclear-powered submarine in the Pacific Ocean, drawing criticism from several regional governments despite Beijing describing the launch as part of its regular military training programme.
According to China's state-run Xinhua news agency, a People's Liberation Army Navy submarine launched a missile carrying a dummy warhead into international waters at 12:01 p.m. local time on Monday (6 July). The missile landed in what officials described only as "designated waters."
Chinese authorities said the exercise was a routine annual training activity and was "not directed against any specific country or target."
Australia, Japan and New Zealand all expressed concern over the launch, citing growing unease about China's expanding military capabilities.
Australian Foreign Minister Penny Wong said Canberra had been notified in advance but described the test as destabilising.
"Australia has been clear that this proposed test is in the context of a rapid military buildup by China, which is lacking in the transparency and reassurance as to intent that the region expects," Wong said during a visit to Fiji.
Japan confirmed it had received prior notification of the launch and urged Beijing to reconsider such activities.
Tokyo also said it had conveyed its "grave concern" over increased Chinese military activity.
According to Japanese officials, China's notification included a warning about potential falling debris near Japan's Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ). Japanese media later reported that the missile landed outside the country's EEZ.
New Zealand also criticised the launch, saying it had been informed only hours before the test took place.
Foreign Minister Winston Peters described the missile test as "an unwelcome and concerning development", adding that Pacific nations do not want the region used for missile testing.
The launch follows China's rare intercontinental ballistic missile test in 2024, which highlighted the country's expanding strategic military capabilities.
While Beijing maintains that its military exercises are routine, recent tests have drawn increasing international scrutiny as regional governments monitor China's growing defence activities and their implications for Indo-Pacific security.
At least 11 people were killed in Israeli strikes on southern Lebanon on Saturday, among the deadliest since a June ceasefire. Meanwhile, Qatar denied holding Iranian pilots. It said it had found the remains of one pilot after an airspace violation and had contacted Iran to coordinate a handover.
A wildfire in Croatia driven by strong winds descended on the tourist town of Omis overnight, engulfing houses, forcing about 1,000 people to evacuate to safety and injuring dozens, fire brigade and health officials said on Friday.
U.S. President Donald Trump's threats to make the Strait of Hormuz part of U.S. territory have been mocked by Iran's Deputy Foreign Minister, Kazem Gharibabadi, who said the sea passage "cannot be seized by tweet."
Russia and Ukraine traded large-scale overnight attacks targeting energy, industrial and military facilities on Saturday, with a three-month-old baby killed and 11 people injured in a Russian drone strike on a residential building in Ukraine’s Dnipropetrovsk region.
For fishermen along Pakistan’s southwestern coast, the consequences of the U.S.-Iran conflict are being felt far from the battlefield.
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military drills. It added that it hoped a favorable relationship between Washington and Pyongyang could lead to meaningful talks.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 17th of August, covering the latest developments.
Rescuers in eastern Indonesia will search collapsed buildings on Monday for survivors who may still be trapped under the rubble after a deadly earthquake killed at least 53 people. The country is marking its Independence Day as it reels from the latest tremors.
More than 183,000 customers across Hawaii were without power as Tropical Storm Lala weakened after bringing hurricane-force winds, heavy rain, and flooding to the islands.
Canadian measures aimed at preventing terrorist financing can obstruct legitimate humanitarian work by Muslim charities, particularly when aid is destined for countries considered high-risk, according to a new study.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment