South Korea says North Korea may have up to 120 nuclear warheads
South Korea estimates North Korea possesses between 80 and 120 n...
The U.S. Treasury did not publish an extension of its sanctions waiver for Russian seaborne oil before it expired at midnight on Wednesday, raising questions over whether Washington is preparing to reimpose restrictions on Russian energy exports.
Neither U.S. President Donald Trump nor administration officials confirmed whether the lapse means sanctions will automatically come back into force.
The waiver had been introduced during the conflict with Iran to help vulnerable economies cope with soaring energy prices and supply disruptions.
Speaking to reporters during the G7 summit in France, Trump declined to provide a clear answer on the future of the waiver.
"We are looking at that. We're seeing how far the price of oil comes down, it's really tumbling," he said.
A day earlier, Trump suggested that the United States could soon allow the sanctions to return.
"Soon we'll be able to do that, because the oil is now flowing," he said, referring to renewed energy supplies from the Middle East.
The comments come after Washington and Tehran reached a memorandum of understanding to end their conflict, potentially paving the way for Iranian oil to return to global markets.
The Trump administration imposed sanctions on major Russian energy companies, including Rosneft and Lukoil, last year in an effort to pressure Moscow by reducing its oil revenues.
Russia remains one of the world's largest oil exporters alongside the United States and Saudi Arabia, making any changes to sanctions policy potentially significant for global energy markets.
In recent months, Washington has allowed the waiver to expire temporarily before extending it again several days later.
The White House and the Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Assets Control did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
A senior U.S. official said on Tuesday that Tehran would be able to resume oil sales immediately following a ceremony later this week to formally sign the agreement ending the conflict.
However, officials caution that it could take several months before Iranian oil and gas exports return to normal levels.
The head of the International Energy Agency, Fatih Birol, has described the Iran conflict as causing the largest disruption to global energy markets in history.
Russian President Vladimir Putin's special envoy, Kirill Dmitriev, said earlier this month that U.S. officials understood the role the waivers had played in maintaining stability in global energy markets.
Meanwhile, the Kremlin said on Sunday that U.S. envoys Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner will travel to Russia soon for talks related to efforts to end the conflict in Ukraine.
The uncertainty surrounding the sanctions waiver has left energy markets waiting for a clearer signal from Washington.
A decision to restore sanctions on Russian seaborne oil could tighten global supplies again, while an extension of the waiver would suggest the United States remains cautious about disrupting energy markets as Middle Eastern oil gradually returns to the global system.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
South Korea estimates North Korea possesses between 80 and 120 nuclear warheads, its defence minister said on Thursday, citing a range significantly higher than U.S. President Donald Trump's recent assertion that Pyongyang has 57 nuclear weapons.
Russian ballistic missile strikes on Ukraine’s capital Kyiv has killed at least twelve people and injured more than two dozen others, Ukrainian officials said, with fires reported across the city and Poland activating defensive air operations.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 20th of August, covering the latest developments.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Britain has summoned Israel’s chargé d’affaires and demanded that the Israeli government withdraw a tender for construction in the controversial E1 settlement area in the West Bank.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment