Azerbaijan’s support to Ukraine could set regional example, aid group director says
Azerbaijan’s support for Ukraine could provide a model for neighbouring countries seeking to strengthen their sovereignty, the director of de...
Russian emergency services have contained a major fire at the Tuapse oil refinery on the Black Sea coast, local officials said on Thursday, ending a four-day effort after a Ukrainian drone strike.
The strike on the facility in Russia’s southern Krasnodar region marks a significant hit to the country’s energy exports. The Tuapse refinery is a key part of Moscow’s hydrocarbon network, processing millions of tonnes of crude each year, with most products sold abroad. Two industry sources said earlier this week that operations were fully halted after the initial attack on 16 April, disrupting a major revenue stream.
"At the Tuapse sea terminal, the fire was brought under control and open flames were extinguished," the Krasnodar region’s general headquarters said on Telegram. However, authorities warned the situation was ongoing, adding that "work to completely extinguish the fire is continuing."
The scale of the response reflects the extent of the damage. Officials said 276 firefighters and 77 specialised vehicles remained at the site, working to extinguish remaining hotspots across the complex.
The prolonged burning of petroleum products has also raised environmental and public health concerns. On Wednesday, authorities warned that toxic by-products from the fire, combined with rainfall, had led to high levels of volatile organic compounds, including benzene and xylene, along with dense soot.
Residents near the Tuapse terminal were advised to stay indoors, keep windows closed and avoid physical exertion. No updated air quality assessment was released on Thursday, leaving uncertainty over ongoing risks.
The Tuapse strike formed part of a wider wave of attacks. Russian officials said further drone strikes hit the city on 20 April, damaging port infrastructure and igniting additional storage tanks, complicating firefighting efforts.
The attack highlights a shift in Ukraine’s approach. Kyiv has increased long-range drone strikes on Russia’s energy infrastructure in recent months.
This comes as the U.S. refocuses its diplomatic efforts, with attention shifting from peace talks in Eastern Europe to the conflict involving Iran in the Middle East.
With reduced immediate diplomatic pressure, Ukraine appears to be targeting key economic assets. By striking refineries and export terminals, it aims to limit fuel supplies for Russian forces and reduce revenue used to fund the war.
This strategy extends beyond the Black Sea. Two industry sources reported a separate fire on Thursday at the Transneft Gorky oil-pumping station in the Nizhny Novgorod region, following a suspected drone attack.
The station is a critical link, supplying crude oil to Russia’s largest maritime export terminal at Primorsk in the Baltic Sea. The ability to hit infrastructure deep inside Russia suggests Ukraine’s drone capabilities are expanding, exposing vulnerabilities across the country’s energy network.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
South Korea estimates North Korea possesses between 80 and 120 nuclear warheads, its defence minister said on Thursday, citing a range significantly higher than U.S. President Donald Trump's recent assertion that Pyongyang has 57 nuclear weapons.
Russian ballistic missile strikes on Ukraine’s capital Kyiv has killed at least twelve people and injured more than two dozen others, Ukrainian officials said, with fires reported across the city and Poland activating defensive air operations.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 20th of August, covering the latest developments.
Britain has summoned Israel’s chargé d’affaires and demanded that the Israeli government withdraw a tender for construction in the controversial E1 settlement area in the West Bank.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment