WUF13 closes as sustainable reconstruction and resettlement feature on final day
As the 13th edition of the World Urban Forum ended, Azerbaijan's Pavilion ...
At least 30 people were killed on Saturday in a stampede at Haiti’s Laferrière Citadel World Heritage Site, with authorities warning that the death toll could rise.
Jean Henri Petit, head of Civil Protection for Haiti’s Nord Department, said the 19th-century fortress was packed with students and visitors, who had gathered for annual celebrations marking the building’s UNESCO listing.
Petit said the stampede occurred at the entrance to the mountaintop site and that rain exacerbated the disaster.
Prime Minister Alix Didier Fils-Aimé said in a statement that he extended “his sincere condolences to the bereaved families" and assured them of his "profound solidarity during this time of mourning and great suffering."
Fils-Aimé added that the incident occurred during a “tourist activity involving many young people.”
The statement said that authorities had been placed on “maximum alert” to provide care and assistance to the bereaved and their friends and relatives.
“The government is monitoring the situation carefully and urges people to be calm and show caution, while waiting for the results of investigations to determine the exact circumstances of this tragedy,” the statement added.
Citadelle Laferrière was commissioned by Haitian revolutionary Henri Christophe after the Haitian Revolution to help defend the newly independent country from potential French attacks.
The deadly stampede comes as Haiti is grappling with widespread violence by gangs that have massacred civilians, as well as an increasingly deadly crackdown by security forces.
The island nation has also been the site of various disasters in recent years, including a 2024 fuel tank explosion that killed two dozen people, another fuel tank blast in 2021 that killed 90 people and an earthquake that left some 2,000 people dead that same year.
Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko has said Belarus will not be dragged into the war in Ukraine, while also stressing that Minsk and Moscow would jointly respond to any aggression against them.
Fighting in the Russia–Ukraine war has intensified sharply, with both sides launching significant strikes far beyond the front lines as the conflict enters its 1,549th day.
As the 13th edition of the World Urban Forum ended, Azerbaijan's Pavilion showcased reconstruction efforts in its liberated territories and foregrounded the importance of mine removal in resettlement efforts.
A French appeals court has found Airbus and Air France guilty of corporate manslaughter over the 2009 Rio–Paris crash, marking a major development in a case that has stretched on for 17 years.
Start your day informed with the AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top stories for the 22nd May, covering the latest developments you need to know.
At least 90 miners have died in a gas explosion at a coal mine in northern China, in what is the country's deadliest mining accident in 17 years. The blast occurred on Friday at 19:29 local time (11:39 GMT) at the Liushenyu coal mine in Shanxi province, according to Chinese state media.
Start your day informed with the AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top stories for the 23rd May, covering the latest developments you need to know.
SpaceX has completed a largely successful test flight of Starship V3, the largest and most powerful rocket in history.
Ukraine’s military denied that it struck a student dormitory in the Russian-controlled Luhansk region on Friday (22 May).
China already dominates the global rare earth supply chain. Now, scientists have discovered new deposits in northeastern China that could prove cheaper and cleaner to extract than those mined elsewhere in the country.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment