live Hormuz shipping slows as Iran's Araghchi sets conditions for resumption
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz slowed to a near standstill over the weekend, with five commodity vessels transiting Saturday and none on Sun...
British Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer has pledged to publish the UK government's long-awaited Defence Investment Plan ahead of next month's NATO summit in Ankara, following growing pressure over the UK's military spending commitments.
According to Downing Street, Starmer made the commitment during a phone call with NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte on Saturday, as the alliance prepares for key discussions on defence funding and collective security.
The announcement comes just days after the resignation of UK Defence Secretary John Healey, who accused the government of failing to provide sufficient funding to meet the scale of modern security threats. Healey had argued that the defence plan did not go far enough and warned that Britain risked falling short of its obligations to NATO allies.
In a statement, a Downing Street spokesperson said Starmer had updated Rutte on preparations for the strategy, "underlining his commitment to publish it ahead of the NATO summit in Ankara".
The spokesperson added that both leaders agreed allies must strengthen collective defence and respond more rapidly to evolving threats.
Rutte welcomed the UK's plan to increase defence investment, describing it as an important contribution to the alliance at a time of heightened geopolitical tensions.
The Defence Investment Plan was originally expected to be published last year, but it has faced repeated delays. It is expected to outline how the government intends to modernise the armed forces, invest in new capabilities and increase defence spending in the coming years.
Starmer has insisted national security remains a priority and has reiterated his ambition to raise defence spending to three per cent of GDP during the next parliament. However, Healey's departure has intensified scrutiny of the government's approach ahead of the NATO gathering, where allies are expected to discuss spending targets and long-term security commitments.
At least 11 people were killed in Israeli strikes on southern Lebanon on Saturday, among the deadliest since a June ceasefire. Meanwhile, Qatar denied holding Iranian pilots. It said it had found the remains of one pilot after an airspace violation and had contacted Iran to coordinate a handover.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz slowed to a near standstill over the weekend, with five commodity vessels transiting Saturday and none on Sunday. Iran's Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said Washington must meet Tehran's conditions for shipping to resume.
A wildfire in Croatia driven by strong winds descended on the tourist town of Omis overnight, engulfing houses, forcing about 1,000 people to evacuate to safety and injuring dozens, fire brigade and health officials said on Friday.
U.S. President Donald Trump's threats to make the Strait of Hormuz part of U.S. territory have been mocked by Iran's Deputy Foreign Minister, Kazem Gharibabadi, who said the sea passage "cannot be seized by tweet."
Residents of villages in eastern Indonesia hit by a deadly earthquake that killed at least 54 people were awaiting aid on Monday as rescuers prepared to comb through collapsed buildings in search of people trapped beneath the rubble.
Central Asia has become a major focus for Eurasian transport investment, with $71.7 billion committed to 114 projects, according to the Eurasian Development Bank’s 2026 Transport Observatory.
The European Union is preparing what foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas has described as its most far-reaching sanctions package against Russia since the war in Ukraine began.
Weeks after thousands of students protested in New Delhi over alleged failures in India’s examination system, the so-called Cockroach movement is taking its campaign to the grassroots, launching audits of state-run schools.
UNESCO Director-General Khaled El-Enany visited Ukraine for the first time since taking office, meeting Foreign Minister Andrii Sybiha in Kyiv on 15 August to discuss protecting the country’s cultural heritage amid continued Russian attacks.
Residents of villages in eastern Indonesia hit by a deadly earthquake that killed at least 54 people were awaiting aid on Monday as rescuers prepared to comb through collapsed buildings in search of people trapped beneath the rubble.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment