Trump says he is ready to wait a few days for the 'right answer' on Iran deal
U.S. President Donald Trump said on Wednesday that Washington was prepared to launch further attacks on Tehran if Iran rejected a peac...
At least 30 people died and hundreds were displaced in Brazil’s Minas Gerais state on Tuesday (24 February) after relentless, record-breaking rainfall triggered landslides and flash floods.
Firefighters and emergency crews were locked in a desperate race against time to locate dozens of residents missing beneath the mud.
Security forces, supported by specialised K-9 units, remain mobilised across the state, though authorities have yet to confirm the total number of people lost to the floods.
The industrial city of Juiz de Fora has borne the brunt of the storm. Of the 30 fatalities, 16 occurred in the city, primarily as a result of landslides that buried homes within seconds.
The city’s main river and its tributaries surged past their banks, swallowing entire neighbourhoods in a matter of hours.
February has officially become the rainiest on record in Juiz de Fora, with 584 millimetres of rainfall — nearly double the monthly average. The rain began with sudden intensity on Monday and continued through the night.
As waters rose during the early hours of Tuesday, Juiz de Fora Mayor Margarida Salomão declared a state of public calamity, a measure designed to secure immediate federal funding and resources.
“The situation is extremely serious,” Salomão said in a video recorded amid the emergency response. “We are working tirelessly to save lives and reach those trapped.”
Minas Gerais Governor Romeu Zema has declared three days of mourning and is scheduled to arrive in Juiz de Fora on Tuesday to oversee a major rescue operation involving local firefighting teams and 150 additional officers deployed from neighbouring municipalities.
In the Parque Burnier neighbourhood, firefighters estimate that at least 17 people are missing, including five children, after a massive landslide obliterated 12 houses along one street.
Rescue teams managed to pull nine survivors from the wreckage, but search dogs remain the only hope for families waiting for news of their loved ones.
More than 440 displaced residents are currently being sheltered in three public schools, their homes destroyed or deemed too dangerous to re-enter.
The tragedy in Minas Gerais is part of a recurring pattern in Brazil, where summer rains frequently turn deadly in densely populated, mountainous regions.
Hours before the storm hit Juiz de Fora, flooding in São João de Meriti, Rio de Janeiro state, claimed the life of an 85-year-old woman who drowned inside her home. More than 600 residents in the metropolitan area were forced to flee.
In São Paulo state, two people died last week in similar storms, bringing the state’s death toll to 19 since the wet season began in December.
More rain is forecast for late Tuesday, leaving authorities on high alert for further landslides.
Asian stocks surged on Thursday as some vessels resumed passage through the Strait of Hormuz, while forecast-beating results at Nvidia and a suspended workers' strike at Samsung Electronics lifted shares of chipmakers.
Day four of the World Urban Forum (WUF) in Baku brings a packed agenda on sustainable cities and the global housing crisis, with sessions on green housing, smart cities, public spaces and urban rights taking place on Wednesday (20 May) at Baku Olympic Stadium in Azerbaijan.
At least 21 people have been killed and thousands evacuated after torrential rain triggered flooding, landslides and transport disruption across southern and central China, with authorities warning that more heavy rainfall is expected along the Yangtze River.
Russia’s ambassador to the United Nations Vasily Nebenzya warned on Tuesday (19 May) that Moscow could retaliate against Baltic states if Ukraine launches military drones from that region. Latvia, the United States and Ukraine responded strongly during a UN Security Council meeting.
Russia is considering the possibility of joint projects with the United States and China, Kirill Dmitriev, Head of the Russian Direct Investment Fund, (Russia's sovereign wealth fund), was quoted as saying by state media on Wednesday.
Activists from a Gaza-bound flotilla detained by Israel at sea have been released from prison and are expected to be deported to Türkiye, officials confirmed on Thursday.
NATO fighter jets were activated on Thursday (21 May) after at least one drone entered Latvian airspace, according to Latvia’s armed forces, marking the latest in a series of security incidents across the Baltic region linked to the war in Ukraine.
Russia pledged support for Cuba on Thursday after the U.S. indicted former Cuban president Raúl Castro on murder charges linked to the 1996 downing of exile planes, escalating tensions between Washington and Havana.
Financial documents released on Wednesday (20 May) ahead of SpaceX going public - in what is expected to be Wall Street’s biggest ever listing - revealed the firm made operating losses of $1.94 billion, despite Elon Musk being tipped to become the world’s first trillionaire.
The European Union has moved closer to finalising a trade agreement with the United States in an effort to avoid a new tariff escalation threatened by President Donald Trump. The proposed deal is aimed at stabilising transatlantic trade ties amid mounting economic and political pressure.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment