Kazakhstan concludes first Kurultai election with turnout at 74.19%
Kazakhstan has concluded its first election to the new unicameral Kurultai, with turnout reaching 74.19 per cent, as vote counting begins following...
Tech billionaire Elon Musk said the search at his social media platform X offices in Paris on Tuesday by French authorities was a "political attack".
He made the comment in response to a statement from X's Global Government Affairs which said the raid was "in connection with a politicised criminal investigation into alleged manipulation of algorithms and purported fraudulent data extraction."
“We are disappointed by this development, but we are not surprised,” the statement said.
"The Paris Public Prosecutor's Office is plainly attempting to exert pressure on X's senior management in the United States by targeting our French entity and employees, who are not the focus of this investigation," it said.
"The Prosecutor's Office has ignored the established procedural mechanisms to obtain evidence in compliance with international treaties and X’s rights to defend itself," it added.
The statement comes after French police raided the offices of Elon Musk's social media network X on Tuesday and prosecutors ordered the tech billionaire to face questions in a widening investigation, amid growing scrutiny of the platform by authorities across Europe.
The raid by the Paris prosecutor's cybercrime unit and Musk's summoning - which could further increase tensions between Europe and the U.S. over Big Tech and free speech - are linked to a year-long investigation into suspected abuse of algorithms and fraudulent data extraction by X or its executives.
Britain's privacy watchdog, meanwhile, also kicked off a formal investigation into Musk's artificial-intelligence (AI) chatbot Grok over the processing of personal data and its potential to produce harmful sexualised images and video content.
In a statement, the Paris prosecutor's office said it had broadened the scope of its investigation following complaints over the functioning of Grok.
The French probe will now also investigate alleged complicity in the "detention and diffusion" of images of a child‑pornographic nature and the violation of a person's image rights with sexually explicit deepfakes, among other potential crimes.
Musk and former CEO Linda Yaccarino were summoned to a hearing on 20 April. Other X staff were also summoned as witnesses.
In July, Musk denied the initial accusations and said French prosecutors were launching a "politically-motivated criminal investigation".
"At this stage, the conduct of this investigation is part of a constructive approach, with the aim of ultimately ensuring that the X platform complies with French laws, insofar as it operates on national territory," the prosecutor's office said.
Such summons are mandatory, though they are harder to enforce on people who do not live in France.
After such a hearing, authorities can decide to either shelve or continue the probe, and potentially place suspects in custody.
Britain's Information Commissioner's Office, meanwhile, said it was investigating the xAI chatbot, following reports that Grok had been used to generate non‑consensual sexual imagery of individuals, including children.
Britain's media regulator Ofcom said separately it was setting out the next steps in its investigation into X launched last month, though it provided few details.
Ofcom is seeking to assess if the company has done enough to mitigate the risk of sexual deepfakes spreading on its social media platform. But it has said it was not investigating xAI, which operates the Grok chatbot, as it falls beyond the scope of current law.
The European Union launched an investigation last week into X too, seeking to assess whether it disseminated illegal content, following a public outcry over the spreading of manipulated sexualized images by Grok.
The chatbot continues to generate sexualised images of people even when users explicitly warn that the subjects do not consent, Reuters has found.
xAI put some restrictions on Grok's image-generation function in response to the backlash last month.
The Paris prosecutor's cybercrime unit is conducting the investigation in France, together with the French police's own cybercrime unit and Europol. The unit previously arrested Telegram founder Pavel Durov in 2024 over charges including complicity in organised crime carried out on the messaging app, charges his lawyer has described as "absurd".
The prosecutor's office said it launched the investigation after being contacted by a lawmaker alleging that biased algorithms in X were likely to have distorted the operation of an automated data processing system.
"Glad to see that my complaint from January 2025 is yielding results!" that lawmaker, Eric Bothorel, said on X.
"In Europe, and particularly in France, the Rule of Law means that no one is above the law," he added.
The prosecutor's office also said it was leaving the X social media platform and would communicate on LinkedIn and Instagram from now on. LinkedIn belongs to Microsoft and Instagram to Meta.
Iran on Saturday denounced U.S. plans to announce new sanctions that could put further strain on the Islamic Republic's economy and have an impact on its most important trading partners including China.
A large-scale drone attack has hit Russia's Samara region, damaging facilities and disrupting operations at an Ozon logistics complex, according to regional authorities and the company.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has rejected calls for a wartime election, arguing that holding a vote while Russia's full-scale invasion continues would divide the country and undermine national unity.
U.S. President Donald Trump said Iran was not ready to make what he called the "right deal" with Washington as tensions persisted over the war and the Strait of Hormuz.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 22nd of August, covering the latest developments.
The Democratic Republic of Congo is set to receive 70,000 doses of the Ebola vaccine Ervebo as health authorities race to contain what has become the country's largest Ebola outbreak on record.
Kazakhstanis went to the polls on Sunday in a snap parliamentary election held under the country’s new constitutional system, which replaces the former two-chamber parliament with a single 145-seat legislature known as the Kurultai.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has rejected calls for a wartime election, arguing that holding a vote while Russia's full-scale invasion continues would divide the country and undermine national unity.
Syria expects negotiations with Israel over a security agreement to resume soon despite deep mistrust between the two sides, Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani said in an interview with Reuters, urging Israel to seize an "historic opportunity" as the door for diplomacy is open.
India's Coast Guard and Navy continued search-and-rescue operations off the eastern coast on Sunday after a Panama-flagged cargo vessel carrying 24 crew sank, with two Chinese nationals rescued, a senior official said.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment