Germany's ruling party backs social media curbs for children
Germany's ruling conservatives on Saturday (21 February) passed a motion to ban social media use for under 14s and introduce more stringent digital ve...
The U.S. military carried out large-scale strikes on dozens of Islamic State targets in Syria on Friday in response to an attack last week that killed American personnel, U.S. officials said.
More than 70 sites across central Syria were targeted, according to U.S. Central Command. Writing on X, Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth said the operation struck "Islamic State fighters, infrastructure and weapons sites" and was conducted under what he described as "Operation Hawkeye Strike".
U.S. officials said the attacks involved F-15 and A-10 fighter jets, Apache helicopters and HIMARS rocket systems. Jordanian fighter jets also took part, providing air support.
President Donald Trump said the strikes were carried out with the backing of Syria’s government and described them as "very serious retaliation".
Speaking at a rally in North Carolina on Friday night, he said the operation delivered a "massive" blow to Islamic State. "We hit the ISIS thugs in Syria. It was very successful," he said.
The strikes followed an attack last weekend near the central Syrian town of Palmyra, where two U.S. Army soldiers and a civilian interpreter were killed. Three other U.S. soldiers were wounded when an attacker targeted a convoy of American and Syrian forces before being shot dead.
Syria’s interior ministry said the attacker was a member of the country’s security forces who was suspected of sympathising with Islamic State.
About 1,000 U.S. troops remain deployed in Syria as part of a U.S.-led coalition fighting Islamic State. Syrian authorities said they remain committed to preventing the group from establishing safe havens in the country.
Syria is now governed by former rebel groups who ousted Bashar al-Assad last year after more than a decade of civil war. The current leadership has increased cooperation with the U.S.-led coalition in recent months, including an agreement reached during a visit by President Ahmed al-Sharaa to Washington last month.
Quentin Griffiths, co-founder of online fashion retailer ASOS, has died in Pattaya, Thailand, after falling from the 17th floor of a condominium on 9 February, Thai police confirmed.
At least four people have died and 17 others were injured after a liquid gas truck overturned and exploded in Santiago, Chile’s capital, authorities confirmed on Thursday. Police said the driver was among those killed.
Cubans are increasingly turning to solar power to keep businesses operating and basic household appliances running during prolonged electricity cuts, as fuel shortages make diesel generators and other temporary solutions more difficult and costly to maintain.
Ukraine’s National Paralympic Committee has announced it will boycott the opening ceremony of the Milano Cortina 2026 Paralympics in Verona on 6 March, citing the International Paralympic Committee’s decision to allow some Russian and Belarusian athletes to compete under their national flags.
Gianni Infantino, president of the Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA), announced a new partnership with the Board of Peace on Thursday (19 February), committing to build football pitches and arenas in Gaza as part of broader efforts to rebuild the region.
Germany's ruling conservatives on Saturday (21 February) passed a motion to ban social media use for under 14s and introduce more stringent digital verification checks for teenagers, building momentum for such limits in Germany and elsewhere in Europe.
India and Brazil signed a mining and minerals cooperation pact on Saturday (21 February), as Prime Minister Narendra Modi said the two countries aim to increase bilateral trade to more than $20 billion within five years.
The Russian Defence Ministry claimed on Saturday (21 February) that its forces had captured another settlement in eastern Ukraine.
President Donald Trump said on Friday (20 February) he will sign an executive order imposing a new 10% “global tariff” on imports. The development comes hours after the U.S. Supreme Court struck down Trump's sweeping “reciprocal” import duties in a major setback to his trade agenda.
The U.S. military carried out a strike Friday (20 February) on a vessel allegedly engaged in narcotrafficking in the Eastern Pacific, according to the U.S. Southern Command (SOUTHCOM).
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment