live Hormuz traffic slows as uncertainty over waterway persists
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most s...
Thousands of Hungarians marched to the offices of Prime Minister Viktor Orban on Saturday (13 December) in protest over a physical abuse scandal at a state-run juvenile detention centre. The demonstration was led by opposition leader Peter Magyar, who called on Orban to resign.
Protesters carried banners reading “Protect the children!”, soft toys, and torches as they marched through the frosty streets of Budapest, showing solidarity with the victims of abuse.
The prosecutor’s office said on Wednesday (10 December) that seven people have so far been detained in connection with the case at the Budapest juvenile centre. Earlier this week, the government placed the country’s five juvenile correctional institutions under direct police supervision while prosecutors investigate.
Among the demonstrators, Zsuzsanna Bodnar said the government “must absolutely resign,” while Judit Voros added that “more and more revolting things keep surfacing on a daily basis.” Janos Apro commented that “what we are seeing is only the tip of the iceberg; there is much more hidden.”
Peter Magyar addressed the crowd, criticising the silence of the President and the Prime Minister. “Why are you silent? Why is the President of the Republic silent?” he asked, before declaring that the government’s time is over. He added: “Our country has reached a point where we can no longer wait; we must not remain silent.”
Protesters shouted for the government to resign as they marched through central Budapest, demonstrating their solidarity with the victims.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military drills. It added that it hoped a favourable relationship between Washington and Pyongyang could lead to meaningful talks.
Russia said its air defences downed 180 drones over the Moscow region overnight, with 620 drones reportedly targeting the area, according to Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin.
France is set to expel two Iranian diplomats in response to what Paris has described as a “deliberate assault” on two French embassy staff in Tehran last month, escalating tensions between the two countries.
South Korea and the United States are scaling back their annual joint military exercises following an order from U.S. President Donald Trump to substantially reduce American participation.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
The United States is pushing to establish a formal deconfliction mechanism between Israel, Türkiye and Syria after Israeli airstrikes on a Syrian airbase raised concerns about the risk of a wider regional confrontation.
U.S. President Donald Trump has paused a planned 50 per cent tariff increase on Canadian goods for three days, saying Washington and Ottawa had reached a preliminary agreement.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment