Zelenskyy rejects EU “associate membership” proposal
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has rejected a German proposal to grant Ukraine “associate” membe...
The wife and son of former Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro visited the jailed right-wing leader at the Federal Police facilities in Brasília on Thursday, 27 November, following a Supreme Court order for him to begin a 27-year, three-month prison sentence.
Bolsonaro’s wife, Michelle Bolsonaro, who had previously visited him, and his youngest son, Jair Renan Bolsonaro, making his first visit, were seen arriving at and leaving the Federal Police Superintendency. Michelle Bolsonaro posted on Instagram that she stayed for 30 minutes.
“These are difficult times but my heart remains in peace because the Lord continues in control.”
The 70-year-old former president has been held at the Federal Police complex since Saturday, 22 November, after attempting to tamper with his electronic ankle monitor while under house arrest in a separate case.
Supreme Court Justice Alexandre de Moraes, overseeing the case, ordered Bolsonaro to begin serving his sentence on Tuesday, 25 November, and ruled that he will remain at the Federal Police headquarters rather than being transferred to a maximum-security or military prison.
Bolsonaro told an assistant judge that a recent change in his medication for chronic hiccups caused a nervous breakdown and hallucinations, which prompted his attempt to break the electronic ankle bracelet.
He is currently confined to a 12-square-metre cell and has received visits from his wife and two of his sons.
The Supreme Court rejected a defence request to allow him to serve his sentence under house arrest, citing the attempted tampering as evidence of a potential flight risk.
Bolsonaro was sentenced in September for orchestrating a coup following his defeat to current President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva in the 2022 election. According to the court, the scheme allegedly included plans to assassinate President Lula and Vice President Geraldo Alckmin, though it was not carried out due to a lack of support from senior military officials. He's always claimed his innocence and denies any wrongdoing.
Previously, Bolsonaro had spent more than 100 days under house arrest in Brasília amid allegations that he sought U.S. intervention to halt criminal proceedings against him.
Jair Renan Bolsonaro told reporters outside the police facility, “All politicians elected thanks to Jair Bolsonaro are doing their best for him and to free him.”
He also described his efforts to support his father emotionally. “We chat about soccer, about my life as his son. I try to distract him, always talking to him, trying to cheer him up and make him smile.”
Protesters were seen outside the Federal Police headquarters, with some holding signs comparing Supreme Court Justice Alexandre de Moraes to Roland Freisler, the notorious Nazi-era judge.
Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko has said Belarus will not be dragged into the war in Ukraine, while also stressing that Minsk and Moscow would jointly respond to any aggression against them.
Fighting in the Russia–Ukraine war has intensified sharply, with both sides launching significant strikes far beyond the front lines as the conflict enters its 1,549th day.
As the 13th edition of the World Urban Forum ended, Azerbaijan's Pavilion showcased reconstruction efforts in its liberated territories and foregrounded the importance of mine removal in resettlement efforts.
A French appeals court has found Airbus and Air France guilty of corporate manslaughter over the 2009 Rio–Paris crash, marking a major development in a case that has stretched on for 17 years.
Start your day informed with the AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top stories for the 22nd May, covering the latest developments you need to know.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has rejected a German proposal to grant Ukraine “associate” membership of the European Union, warning it would leave Kyiv without a meaningful voice in the bloc.
The United States is stepping up its efforts to rebuild ties with India, with Secretary of State Marco Rubio using his visit to New Delhi to promote energy cooperation.
At least 90 miners have died in a gas explosion at a coal mine in northern China, in what is the country's deadliest mining accident in 17 years. The blast occurred on Friday at 19:29 local time (11:39 GMT) at the Liushenyu coal mine in Shanxi province, according to Chinese state media.
Start your day informed with the AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top stories for the 23rd May, covering the latest developments you need to know.
SpaceX has completed a successful test flight of Starship V3, the largest and most powerful rocket in history.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment