Indonesia quake kills 54 as search continues on Independence Day
Residents of villages in eastern Indonesia hit by a deadly earthquake that killed at least 54 people were awaiting...
China’s Communist Party newspaper has accused Japan of attempting to revive wartime militarism after Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi suggested a Chinese attack on Taiwan could trigger a military response from Tokyo.
The People’s Daily said on Friday that Takaichi’s comments were not an “isolated political rant” but part of a broader push by Japan’s right wing to expand military power beyond the limits of its post-World War Two constitution. The remarks, made in parliament last week, have already sparked a diplomatic row with Beijing.
China’s consul-general in Osaka escalated tensions by reposting an article on X about Takaichi’s remarks and writing that “the dirty neck that sticks itself in must be cut off,” prompting a protest from Japan’s embassy in Beijing to Vice Foreign Minister Sun Weidong.
State media outlets have since published a series of strongly worded commentaries attacking Takaichi and invoking historical grievances over Japan’s wartime occupation of parts of China. The People’s Daily said Japan was “racing headlong down the path of military buildup,” citing visits to the Yasukuni Shrine, denial of the Nanjing Massacre and rhetoric about a “China threat.”
The commentary also drew parallels with the 1931 Mukden Incident, which Japan used as a pretext to invade Manchuria, asking whether Tokyo intended to “repeat the mistakes of history.”
Beijing claims Taiwan as its own territory and has not ruled out the use of force. Taiwan’s government rejects that claim, saying only its people can decide the island’s future. The island sits just more than 110 km (68 miles) from Japanese territory, and sea lanes around Taiwan are critical to Japan’s trade. Japan also hosts the largest overseas contingent of U.S. military personnel.
NTV reported on Friday that the Chinese embassy in Tokyo had advised its staff to avoid going out due to concerns about rising anti-China sentiment.
Japan’s chief cabinet secretary Minoru Kihara reiterated that Tokyo seeks a peaceful resolution to cross-strait issues through dialogue.
China has simultaneously intensified its rhetoric against Taiwan’s ruling Democratic Progressive Party. The State Council’s Taiwan Affairs Office criticised DPP lawmaker Puma Shen following his visit to Berlin, while Chinese police issued a wanted notice — offering a $35,000 reward — for two Taiwanese social media influencers accused of “separatism.” The influencers mocked the notice online, with rapper Mannam PYC filming himself attempting to “turn himself in” to Taiwan police.
Taiwan’s authorities noted that China’s legal system has no jurisdiction on the island.
At least 11 people were killed in Israeli strikes on southern Lebanon on Saturday, among the deadliest since a June ceasefire. Meanwhile, Qatar denied holding Iranian pilots. It said it had found the remains of one pilot after an airspace violation and had contacted Iran to coordinate a handover.
A wildfire in Croatia driven by strong winds descended on the tourist town of Omis overnight, engulfing houses, forcing about 1,000 people to evacuate to safety and injuring dozens, fire brigade and health officials said on Friday.
U.S. President Donald Trump's threats to make the Strait of Hormuz part of U.S. territory have been mocked by Iran's Deputy Foreign Minister, Kazem Gharibabadi, who said the sea passage "cannot be seized by tweet."
Russia and Ukraine traded large-scale overnight attacks targeting energy, industrial and military facilities on Saturday, with a three-month-old baby killed and 11 people injured in a Russian drone strike on a residential building in Ukraine’s Dnipropetrovsk region.
For fishermen along Pakistan’s southwestern coast, the consequences of the U.S.-Iran conflict are being felt far from the battlefield.
Residents of villages in eastern Indonesia hit by a deadly earthquake that killed at least 54 people were awaiting aid on Monday as rescuers prepared to comb through collapsed buildings in search of people trapped beneath the rubble.
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military drills. It added that it hoped a favorable relationship between Washington and Pyongyang could lead to meaningful talks.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 17th of August, covering the latest developments.
More than 183,000 customers across Hawaii were without power as Tropical Storm Lala weakened after bringing hurricane-force winds, heavy rain, and flooding to the islands.
Canadian measures aimed at preventing terrorist financing can obstruct legitimate humanitarian work by Muslim charities, particularly when aid is destined for countries considered high-risk, according to a new study.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment