Israeli strike kills six in Gaza as Trump peace plan stalls
At least six Palestinians have been killed in an Israeli airstrike in Gaza City, according to Palestinian health officials, as efforts by U.S. Pres...
U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said on Saturday that Washington’s sanctions against Colombian President Gustavo Petro were not intended to harm the country’s citizens or its economy.
On Friday, the United States blacklisted Petro and his family, accusing him of empowering and protecting “narco terrorists.”
Speaking to reporters while traveling from Israel to Qatar, Rubio emphasised that the United States maintains a “strong and enduring” relationship with the Colombian people and key national institutions, particularly its security forces.
The U.S. military has recently stepped up operations in the southern Caribbean, targeting vessels in international waters that it claims — without providing evidence — are involved in drug trafficking. Earlier this week, President Donald Trump called Petro an “illegal drug leader” after the leftist president accused the U.S. of “murder” over those strikes.
“This is not a U.S.-versus-Colombia issue,” Rubio said, referring to the sanctions. He explained that the Trump administration was responding to what it viewed as a hostile stance from Petro but added, “We separate that from the people of Colombia. That’s why there are no tariffs or economic penalties — we don’t want to harm the Colombian economy.”
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military drills. It added that it hoped a favourable relationship between Washington and Pyongyang could lead to meaningful talks.
Russia said its air defences downed 180 drones over the Moscow region overnight, with 620 drones reportedly targeting the area, according to Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin.
South Korea and the United States are scaling back their annual joint military exercises following an order from U.S. President Donald Trump to substantially reduce American participation.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
The United States is pushing to establish a formal deconfliction mechanism between Israel, Türkiye and Syria after Israeli airstrikes on a Syrian airbase raised concerns about the risk of a wider regional confrontation.
U.S. President Donald Trump has paused a planned 50 per cent tariff increase on Canadian goods for three days, saying Washington and Ottawa had reached a preliminary agreement.
A federal judge has allowed the Trump administration to move forward with ending Temporary Protected Status (TPS) for thousands of Ethiopian nationals living in the United States, removing one of the last major legal obstacles to a broader effort to roll back humanitarian immigration protections.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment