Uzbekistan, Azerbaijan target $1 billion in trade by 2030
Uzbekistan and Azerbaijan are drawing up a new programme aimed at boosting bilateral trade to $1 billion by 2030, as the two countries move to deep...
The U.S. allegedly carried out its first night strike of a regional counter-drug campaign in the Caribbean, killing six suspected "narco-terrorists" on a vessel linked to the Tren de Aragua gang, Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth said.
U.S. Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth said on Friday that an alleged U.S. strike in the Caribbean targeted a suspected drug vessel operated by the Tren de Aragua gang, resulting in six deaths. In a post on X, he shared a roughly 20-second video appearing to show a boat at sea being struck by at least one projectile before exploding. No independent evidence of what the vessel carried has been provided.
Hegseth said the operation was allegedly the first conducted at night since the counter-drug campaign began in September. The announcement follows President Donald Trump’s statement on Thursday that his administration would brief Congress on operations against drug cartels. Trump said he does not need a declaration of “war” to act and hinted that land-based operations could follow.
The U.S. military has increased its presence across the Caribbean, deploying guided-missile destroyers, F-35 fighter jets, a nuclear-powered submarine and thousands of troops. Including the latest alleged strike, the United States has carried out 10 operations against suspected drug vessels in the Caribbean and Pacific, reportedly killing nearly 40 people. The Pentagon has released little detail but confirmed that some incidents occurred near Venezuela.
The actions have raised legal concerns, with some experts and Democratic lawmakers questioning whether they align with international law. Last week, Reuters reported that two alleged traffickers who survived a U.S. military strike in the Caribbean were rescued by a U.S. Navy ship and later repatriated to Colombia and Ecuador.
Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro has accused Washington of attempting to remove him from power. In August, the U.S. doubled its reward to $50 million for information leading to Maduro’s arrest, alleging ties to drug trafficking and criminal networks, which he denies.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
Australia on Thursday condemned Israel’s decision to close its criminal investigation into the deaths of Australian aid worker Zomi Frankcom and six World Central Kitchen colleagues killed in Gaza in April 2024.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
North Korea has fired more than 10 short-range ballistic missiles after U.S. President Donald Trump reduced American participation in joint military exercises with South Korea in an effort to revive dialogue with Pyongyang.
Georgia’s foreign trade data for January-July 2026 shows Kyrgyzstan, China and Russia as its top three export markets, highlighting its Middle Corridor ambitions and complex economic ties with Moscow.
Kazakhstan will vote on 23 August in its first parliamentary election under the new Constitution, choosing 145 members of the new Kurultai under a fundamentally changed electoral system based entirely on party lists.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment