Pakistan carries out cross-border strikes in Afghanistan
Pakistan said it carried out cross-border strikes on militant targets inside Afghanistan after blaming a series of recent suicide bombings, including ...
European nations are working with Ukraine on a new ceasefire proposal along current battle lines, aiming to keep the United States in a central role, four European diplomats told reporters on Tuesday.
The proposal, which builds on previously discussed ideas, includes a reference to a peace board chaired by U.S. President Donald Trump that would oversee the implementation of the plan. “It’s an effort by the national security advisers to keep the United States on board,” said a senior European diplomat.
Key Points of the Proposal
The ceasefire would be based on current front lines, responding to longstanding European calls for an immediate halt to fighting. Territorial negotiations would follow the ceasefire, but no lands occupied by Russia would be recognized as Russian. The plan would ensure security guarantees for Ukraine, including supporting its military strength. Provisions would include the return of deported children and prisoner exchanges. Financial assistance for reconstruction and a roadmap to EU membership would also be included. EU sanctions on Russia would be lifted gradually as Moscow meets its commitments, with some frozen Russian assets potentially used for reparations to Ukraine. “One senior diplomat noted: ‘That would be a non-starter for Russia,’” highlighting the challenges ahead.
Context and Next Steps
Some 35 allies of Ukraine are expected to meet on Friday in London at a summit of countries willing to provide long-term support to Kyiv. There is also a possibility of a Trump–Putin meeting in the coming weeks, the diplomats said.
European diplomats acknowledged that the proposal largely reflects previous European plans, with “some more new elements” added, but stressed that Russia has shown no signs of changing its position.
The diplomats spoke on condition of anonymity due to the sensitivity of the discussions.
Bloomberg News first reported news of the new proposal on Tuesday.
Quentin Griffiths, co-founder of online fashion retailer ASOS, has died in Pattaya, Thailand, after falling from the 17th floor of a condominium on 9 February, Thai police confirmed.
A seven-month-old Japanese macaque has captured global attention after forming an unusual but heart-warming bond with a stuffed orangutan toy following abandonment by its mother.
Ukraine’s National Paralympic Committee has announced it will boycott the opening ceremony of the Milano Cortina 2026 Paralympics in Verona on 6 March, citing the International Paralympic Committee’s decision to allow some Russian and Belarusian athletes to compete under their national flags.
Divers have recovered the bodies of seven Chinese tourists and a Russian driver after their minibus broke through the ice of Lake Baikal in Russia, authorities said.
President Donald Trump said on Saturday (21 February) that he will raise temporary tariffs on nearly all U.S. imports from 10% to 15%, the maximum allowed under the law, after the Supreme Court struck down his previous tariff program.
Pakistan said it carried out cross-border strikes on militant targets inside Afghanistan after blaming a series of recent suicide bombings, including attacks during the holy month of Ramadan, on fighters it said were operating from Afghan territory.
Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has approved new sanctions targeting Russian maritime operators, defence-linked companies and individuals connected to Moscow’s military and energy sectors, according to official decrees issued on Saturday.
Divers have recovered the bodies of seven Chinese tourists and a Russian driver after their minibus broke through the ice of Lake Baikal in Russia, authorities said.
A technical fault in the helium system of NASA’s next-generation moon rocket was announced on Saturday, ruling out the planned March launch window for the Artemis II mission.
President Donald Trump said on Saturday (21 February) that he will raise temporary tariffs on nearly all U.S. imports from 10% to 15%, the maximum allowed under the law, after the Supreme Court struck down his previous tariff program.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment