Israeli strike kills six in Gaza as Trump peace plan stalls
At least six Palestinians have been killed in an Israeli airstrike in Gaza City, according to Palestinian health officials, as efforts by U.S. Pres...
The Taliban have once again reiterated their stance on the Bagram air base, stating that no one will be allowed to take control of it.
The latest statement comes after US President Donald Trump repeatedly asserted that the United States wants to take control of the Bagram air base.
In an interview with Sky News, spokesperson for Afghanistan’s de facto authorities, Zabihullah Mujahid, said they will not allow the Bagram air base to be controlled by anyone.
“Afghans will never allow their land to be handed over to anyone under any circumstances.
Afghanistan has been tested in the past and we believe that the failed approaches of previous years should not be repeated.” He said.
Mr Mujahid confirmed that his government is in talks with the US about reopening the Afghan embassy in Washington DC and the US embassy in Kabul.
He said, “We have discussed this matter, and we wish to see the embassies reopened both in Kabul and in Washington.”
Recently, the US government sent a high-level delegation led by the president’s special envoy for hostage affairs, Adam Boehler, to Kabul to secure the release of US citizens held in Afghanistan.
In September, a US citizen, Amir Amiri, was released by the Taliban after mediation by Qatar.
Afghan Foreign Minister Amir Khan Muttaqi said the release was made to “demonstrate that disputes can be resolved through diplomacy.”
When asked about women’s rights and girls’ education, Mujahid said he could not provide a timeline, explaining that the matter falls under the responsibility of the ministries of education and higher education.
“I cannot make any promises as this matter falls under their responsibility. I am not fully informed about the progress they have made,
In general, our society faces a range of challenges that must be addressed based on priority. The Islamic Emirate has already taken certain measures, and we remain hopeful that an appropriate solution will be found.” Mujahid responded.
Last week, internet and telecommunications across Afghanistan were shut down for two days, leaving millions without access.
The disruption severely affected daily life, including businesses, airports, schools and hospitals. Services were restored after 48 hours, but no official explanation was given.
When asked by Sky News, Mujahid said, “At present, we have not received any explanation from the ministry of telecommunication, therefore we’re not in a position to comment. We will share our views once further details are provided.”
It has been four years since the Taliban came to power in August 2021. So far, only Russia has officially recognised their government.
Mujahid told Sky News that this was not the case, he said several countries have quietly recognised their government.“It is not only Russia that has openly recognised the Islamic Emirate. There are several other countries that have extended recognition, though not publicly.”
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military drills. It added that it hoped a favourable relationship between Washington and Pyongyang could lead to meaningful talks.
Russia said its air defences downed 180 drones over the Moscow region overnight, with 620 drones reportedly targeting the area, according to Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
South Korea and the United States are scaling back their annual joint military exercises following an order from U.S. President Donald Trump to substantially reduce American participation.
The United States is pushing to establish a formal deconfliction mechanism between Israel, Türkiye and Syria after Israeli airstrikes on a Syrian airbase raised concerns about the risk of a wider regional confrontation.
U.S. President Donald Trump has paused a planned 50 per cent tariff increase on Canadian goods for three days, saying Washington and Ottawa had reached a preliminary agreement.
A federal judge has allowed the Trump administration to move forward with ending Temporary Protected Status (TPS) for thousands of Ethiopian nationals living in the United States, removing one of the last major legal obstacles to a broader effort to roll back humanitarian immigration protections.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment