Ukraine imposes new sanctions targeting Russian maritime and defence supply chains
Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has approved new sanctions targeting Russian maritime operators, defence-linked companies and individuals co...
Protesters once again took to the streets of Madagascar’s cities on Monday, marking a third consecutive week of anti-government demonstrations now calling for President Andry Rajoelina to step down.
Police in the capital, Antananarivo, used teargas to disperse the crowds, according to a Reuters reporter. Many of the demonstrators were university students who had initially mobilised last month over frequent power and water cuts but have since voiced broader frustrations with the government.
Inspired by “Gen Z” protest movements in Kenya and Nepal, the rallies represent the largest wave of unrest on the Indian Ocean island in recent years, expressing anger over deep poverty and entrenched corruption. Malagasy television broadcast footage on Monday showing police confronting protesters in the southern city of Toliara and the northern city of Diego Suarez.
Despite its rich mineral resources, biodiversity and farmland, Madagascar remains one of the world’s poorest nations. Average income per person has fallen by 45% since independence in 1960.
Although Rajoelina dismissed his cabinet last week, many protesters are demanding that the 51-year-old president himself resign.
According to the United Nations, at least 22 people were killed and more than 100 injured during the initial days of unrest — figures the government disputes.
In a speech on Friday, Rajoelina said he was prepared to listen to the demonstrators’ concerns but ignored calls for his resignation.
A spokesperson for his office told Reuters over the weekend that the movement was being “exploited by political actors seeking to destabilise the country,” adding that “President Rajoelina remains committed to dialogue and to accelerating solutions that improve people’s daily lives.”
In a separate statement on Monday, the presidency said the president had met with several civil society organisations on Saturday but offered no further details. Other groups said they had declined to attend, citing the lack of guarantees that protests could continue peacefully and that detained demonstrators would be freed.
Quentin Griffiths, co-founder of online fashion retailer ASOS, has died in Pattaya, Thailand, after falling from the 17th floor of a condominium on 9 February, Thai police confirmed.
Ukraine’s National Paralympic Committee has announced it will boycott the opening ceremony of the Milano Cortina 2026 Paralympics in Verona on 6 March, citing the International Paralympic Committee’s decision to allow some Russian and Belarusian athletes to compete under their national flags.
Eric Dane, the actor best known for his roles in 'Grey’s Anatomy' and 'Euphoria', died on Thursday, at the age of 53 after a battle with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS). His family confirmed his death after what they described as a “courageous battle” with ALS.
An Austrian climber has been convicted of gross negligent manslaughter after his girlfriend died from hypothermia while climbing Austria’s highest peak, the Grossglockner, in January 2025.
President Donald Trump said on Saturday (21 February) that he will raise temporary tariffs on nearly all U.S. imports from 10% to 15%, the maximum allowed under the law, after the Supreme Court struck down his previous tariff program.
Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has approved new sanctions targeting Russian maritime operators, defence-linked companies and individuals connected to Moscow’s military and energy sectors, according to official decrees issued on Saturday.
Divers have recovered the bodies of seven Chinese tourists and a Russian driver after their minibus broke through the ice of Lake Baikal in Russia, authorities said.
A technical fault in the helium system of NASA’s next-generation moon rocket was announced on Saturday, ruling out the planned March launch window for the Artemis II mission.
President Donald Trump said on Saturday (21 February) that he will raise temporary tariffs on nearly all U.S. imports from 10% to 15%, the maximum allowed under the law, after the Supreme Court struck down his previous tariff program.
Germany's ruling conservatives on Saturday (21 February) passed a motion to ban social media use for under 14s and introduce more stringent digital verification checks for teenagers, building momentum for such limits in Germany and elsewhere in Europe.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment