live U.S.-Iran standoff continues as Hormuz shipping and diplomacy remain uncertain
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to res...
Chevron has extinguished a large fire at its El Segundo refinery after an evening explosion in a jet fuel unit forced multiple processing units offline. No injuries were reported, and all personnel were accounted for, the company said.
Chevron’s 285,000-barrel-per-day El Segundo refinery, the second largest in California and the company’s second-biggest in the U.S., took several units offline on Friday following a major blaze that began on Thursday night in the Isomax 7 unit, which upgrades mid-distillates into jet fuel.
Consultancy data cited by traders indicated shutdowns at the 60,000 bpd catalytic reformer, the 45,000 bpd hydrocracker and the 73,000 bpd fluid catalytic cracker, while crude distillation units remained online. Chevron confirmed the fire was out and said all workers and contractors had been accounted for.
Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass said there was no known impact on the Los Angeles International Airport. LAX declined to comment. The refinery supplies roughly a fifth of California’s motor fuels and about 40% of jet fuel consumed in southern California, including LAX.
Market participants expect aviation to feel the sharper pinch. Analysts said jet fuel prices jumped about 33 cents per gallon on Friday afternoon, while California petrol prices are seen rising modestly, by roughly 5 to 15 cents per gallon for now, as the main petrol-making unit was not directly affected. California’s nearly 28 million drivers were already paying close to $4.70 per gallon on Friday, compared with a national average under $3.22.
To cover lost output, traders said California will likely pull in more jet fuel cargoes from Asian refiners, particularly South Korea, Taiwan and Japan. The Long Beach area had recently been receiving around 45,000 to 50,000 bpd of jet imports and may need at least one additional shipment in the coming weeks.
The incident lands as the state’s refining system faces tighter balances over the coming months. Phillips 66 is winding down its 139,000 bpd Los Angeles-area refinery for permanent closure, and Valero’s Benicia refinery is set to close in April 2026. Together, those plants produce about one-fifth of California’s petrol supply. Analysts said the El Segundo fire could amplify the pre-existing tightness and support regional fuel prices as operators and buyers prepare for the December shutdown.
Local officials reported no evacuation orders for neighbouring residents, though Manhattan Beach advised a shelter-in-place until 2 a.m. Social media videos showed a large fireball and an orange sky over western Los Angeles as safety flares were activated to burn off hydrocarbons that could not be processed normally.
State and federal safety agencies said they will investigate the cause of the explosion and fire. El Segundo last reported an isolated fire in December 2022. Industry trackers noted several U.S. refinery incidents in 2025. The facility’s total storage capacity is about 12.5 million barrels across roughly 150 major tanks, though sources could not confirm current jet fuel inventories.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Australia on Thursday condemned Israel’s decision to close its criminal investigation into the deaths of Australian aid worker Zomi Frankcom and six World Central Kitchen colleagues killed in Gaza in April 2024.
North Korea has fired more than 10 short-range ballistic missiles after U.S. President Donald Trump reduced American participation in joint military exercises with South Korea in an effort to revive dialogue with Pyongyang.
Georgia’s foreign trade data for January-July 2026 shows Kyrgyzstan, China and Russia as its top three export markets, highlighting its Middle Corridor ambitions and complex economic ties with Moscow.
Kazakhstan will vote on 23 August in its first parliamentary election under the new Constitution, choosing 145 members of the new Kurultai under a fundamentally changed electoral system based entirely on party lists.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment