Türkiye vows continued support for Syria after Israeli airbase strike
Türkiye said on Thursday it would continue helping Syria strengthen its military, despite rising tensions with Israel over Ankara’s role...
The Comprehensive Strategic Partnership Treaty between Iran and Russia came into effect on Thursday and will remain valid for 20 years, marking a success for Tehran just days after the return of pre-2015 UN nuclear sanctions.
Iran’s Foreign Ministry said the two countries will spare no effort to safeguard multilateralism and respect for international law, “by strengthening cooperation within the framework of multilateral organisations and arrangements such as BRICS and the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation.”
The Strategic Partnership Pact, concluded on 17 January 2025 in Moscow by President Masoud Pezeshkian and President Vladimir Putin, outlines enhanced cooperation between Tehran and Moscow across bilateral, regional, and international fields.
The treaty comprises 47 articles covering collaboration in technology, information and cybersecurity, peaceful nuclear energy, counterterrorism, regional cooperation, environmental protection, and combating money laundering and organised crime.
The announcement follows the reinstatement of UN nuclear sanctions on Iran last week, despite a joint Russia-China draft resolution at the Security Council proposing a six-month delay in their return.
Tehran has also signed a comprehensive 25-year cooperation agreement with Beijing. Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, in a message marking China’s National Day, described China as Iran’s “comprehensive strategic partner.” He added: “Regardless of any possible changes in the international situation, Iran will continue to deepen its relations with China.”
In response to the sanctions, Iran strongly condemned the Group of Seven (G7) for supporting the reinstatement. Foreign Ministry Spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei described the G7’s backing of the EU/US action as “hypocritical and a distortion of reality,” favouring a measure that “violated international law.”
G7 foreign ministers, meanwhile, welcomed the snapback mechanism invoked by France, Germany, and the UK (E3) to restore UN nuclear sanctions.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Russia is open to listening to new proposals on how to reach a settlement on the Ukraine conflict, a senior Russian diplomat said, but any proposals should reflect the "realities on the ground".
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 20th of August, covering the latest developments.
Five years after Evergrande's debt crisis rattled global markets, founder Hui Ka Yan has been sentenced to life in prison, marking a dramatic new chapter in the downfall of China's former property giant.
Virgin Trains has moved a step closer to challenging Eurostar’s three-decade dominance of Channel Tunnel passenger rail, potentially giving travellers more choice between the UK and mainland Europe.
Russia is open to listening to new proposals on how to reach a settlement on the Ukraine conflict, a senior Russian diplomat said, but any proposals should reflect the "realities on the ground".
Nearly 100 days after dozens of children were abducted from a school in northeastern Nigeria's Borno State, parents have taken to the streets to demand urgent government action to bring them home.
China and Indonesia have agreed to strengthen military ties and deepen cooperation in minerals, energy and technology as Jakarta balances relations with Beijing and Washington amid economic and geopolitical tensions.
An international conference in Baku on 21 August is putting Belgium’s colonial record in Africa under renewed scrutiny. Officials, United Nations experts, researchers and human rights advocates are gathering to discuss whether the country has done enough to address the legacy of its rule.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment