Israel stops dozens of Gaza aid flotilla boats in nighttime operation
Israeli forces intercepted dozens of Gaza-bound aid vessels in the eastern Mediterranean on Monday (18 May), prompting condemnation from the United...
Prime Minister Keir Starmer has reassured the Jewish community in Britain of security after he chaired a COBRA crisis meeting following a synagogue attack on Thursday that left two people dead.
Speaking at Downing street, Starmer said "a vile individual committed a terrorist attack", and that he "attacked Jews because they were Jews and attacked Britain because of our values".
He said that the daily threat antisemitic hate was rising once again and that Britain must defeat it once again adding that Jewish buildings now require round the clock security.
He condoled with those affected by today's incident in his speech, "on behalf of our country I express our solidarity, but also my sadness you should still live with these fears".
"We'll come together to wrap our arms around your community. We will show you Britain is a country where you and your family can be safe, secure and belong" he said.
He also thanked the emergency responders for their swiftness and helping to prevent what he called "an even greater tragedy".
Prime Minister Keir Starmer has arrived back in the UK where he chaired an emergency meeting over the incident.
Deputy Prime Minister David Lammy, Chief of Police Mark Rowley, and Home Secretary Shabana Mahmood were also in attendance.
Counter terrorism Police in the UK declared the Thursday Manchester synagogue attack in which three people died including the attacker, a terrorist incident.
Counter-terrorism Policing Assistant Commissioner Laurence Taylor in a statement said that authorities believe they know the identity of the attacker but are unable to confirm it for security reasons.
"Our specialist teams are now leading the investigation into what happened at Heaton Park Hebrew congregation synagogue and working closely with Greater Manchester Police".
He says counter-terrorism police are deploying all resources possible and they will make sure all lines of inquiry are investigated to build a full picture in the coming days and weeks.
Taylor urged people to stay vigilant and report any suspicious activities to the relevant authorities.
Police in Manchester confirm that three people have died, including the suspect, who was shot by firearms officers. Three other people remain in serious condition.
Three people, including the suspected attacker, have died after a car-and-knife assault outside Heaton Park Hebrew Congregation Synagogue in Manchester, with three others in a serious condition, Greater Manchester Police said.
Greater Manchester Police (GMP) said officers were called at 09:31 BST to reports that a car had been driven towards members of the public and a man stabbed outside the synagogue on Middleton Road, Crumpsall.
GMP declared Operation Plato, a protocol for major incidents including marauding attacks at 09:37, and firearms officers opened fire at 09:38, fatally shooting a man believed to be the suspect.
Police initially could not confirm the suspect’s condition because “suspicious items on his person” required specialist assessment. A controlled explosion was later heard at the cordon, and bomb disposal officers were on scene, BBC reporters at the site said. Three other members of the public remain in a serious condition, GMP added.
The incident came on Yom Kippur, the holiest day in the Jewish calendar, when attendance at synagogues is typically high. Worshippers who had been held inside while the area was made safe have since been evacuated, police said. BBC Verify authenticated footage showing armed officers confronting a man at the synagogue gates and warning bystanders to move back, saying: “He has a bomb.”
Prime Minister Keir Starmer left a summit in Copenhagen early and will chair an emergency COBR meeting in London. He said there would be extra police deployments at synagogues nationwide and pledged: “We will do everything to keep our Jewish community safe.” King Charles said he and Queen Camilla were “deeply shocked and saddened” by the attack and praised the emergency services’ swift actions.
A helicopter from the SAS’s “Blue Thunder” counter-terror aviation unit was seen over the area, images published by PA Media showed. A witness told PA that two men were led away in handcuffs nearby, though GMP has not confirmed any arrests linked to the incident.
Paramedics arrived at 09:41 to treat casualties with injuries from both the vehicle and knife, police said. Manchester Mayor Andy Burnham told BBC Radio Manchester earlier that “the immediate danger appears to be over,” while urging people to avoid the area as the investigation continues. Authorities have not announced a motive .
This is a developing story.
The World Urban Forum (WUF13) continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 18 May, addressing the global housing crisis. The day’s agenda includes the official opening press conference, the WUF13 Urban Expo opening and a ministerial dialogue on the Nairobi Declaration to advance Africa's urban agenda.
U.S. President Donald Trump said on Monday he had paused a planned attack on Iran after appeals from the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, allowing negotiations to continue over a possible deal to end the conflict.
A 5.2 magnitude earthquake struck China’s Guangxi region early on Monday, killing two people and forcing more than 7,000 residents in Liuzhou to evacuate as rescue efforts continued.
The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared an Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and Uganda a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC), warning that the situation poses a significant risk of cross-border spread in Central Africa.
Eurovision Song Contest once again proved how unpredictable its outcome can be, with Bulgaria’s Dara turning a late surge into a dominant win while several expected contenders collapsed early. At the same time, the absence of the South Caucasus region from the final raised questions.
United Nations World Urban Forum 13 continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 19 May with sessions and roundtable discussions focused on strengthening dialogue and advancing cooperation in urban development. Organisers say there are nearly 3 billion people globally who face some form of housing inadequacy.
Russian President Vladimir Putin said Russia and China are prepared to support each other on issues linked to sovereignty and national unity, ahead of his visit to Beijing for talks with Chinese President Xi Jinping.
Start your day informed with the AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top stories for the 19th of May, covering the latest developments you need to know.
A U.S. jury has ruled against Elon Musk in his lawsuit against OpenAI, finding the company not liable over claims it had abandoned its original mission to benefit humanity.
Two teenage gunmen opened fire on Monday at the Islamic Center of San Diego, California, killing a security guard and two other men outside the mosque before the suspects were found dead, apparently from self-inflicted gunshot wounds, police said.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment