Eight killed after Chinese tour bus plunges into frozen Lake Baikal
Divers have recovered the bodies of seven Chinese tourists and a Russian driver after their minibus broke through the ice of Lake Baikal in Russia, au...
Vietnam shut airports and evacuated thousands of residents on Sunday as Typhoon Bualoi intensified and bore down on the country, just days after leaving at least 10 people dead and triggering severe flooding in the Philippines.
The typhoon was producing winds of up to 133 km/h (83 mph) as of 10:00 GMT and is forecast to make landfall in central Vietnam at around 01:00 on Monday, slowing as it approaches the coast, state-run Thanh Nien newspaper reported.
“This is a rapidly moving storm – nearly twice the average speed – with strong intensity and a wide impact zone,” the national weather forecasting agency said. “It has the potential to unleash multiple disasters simultaneously, including destructive winds, heavy rainfall, flooding, flash floods, landslides and coastal inundation.”
Northern and central provinces could see up to 600 mm of rain through 1 October, with rivers rising as much as nine metres, heightening the risk of flooding and landslides, the agency added.
In Ha Tinh province, authorities began evacuating more than 15,000 people, while thousands of troops were placed on standby, the government confirmed. Residents in Vinh, the capital of Nghe An province where landfall is expected, hurried to secure their homes, tie down fishing boats and reinforce roofs with sandbags and water-filled sacks.
“We already suffered losses from Typhoon Kajiki this year and haven’t recovered yet,” said Bui Thi Tuyet, a 41-year-old resident. “In over 20 years living here, I have never felt so terrified because of storms.”
Vietnam suspended operations at four coastal airports on Sunday, including Da Nang International, while some flights were rescheduled, according to the Civil Aviation Authority. Schools in the affected regions will remain closed on Monday, with the possibility of extended closures, VnExpress reported.
Heavy rain has already triggered flooding in Hue and Quang Tri provinces, the government said.
Vietnam, with its long South China Sea coastline, is highly vulnerable to deadly typhoons. Last year, Typhoon Yagi killed around 300 people and caused an estimated $3.3 billion in property damage.
Quentin Griffiths, co-founder of online fashion retailer ASOS, has died in Pattaya, Thailand, after falling from the 17th floor of a condominium on 9 February, Thai police confirmed.
At least four people have died and 17 others were injured after a liquid gas truck overturned and exploded in Santiago, Chile’s capital, authorities confirmed on Thursday. Police said the driver was among those killed.
Cubans are increasingly turning to solar power to keep businesses operating and basic household appliances running during prolonged electricity cuts, as fuel shortages make diesel generators and other temporary solutions more difficult and costly to maintain.
Ukraine’s National Paralympic Committee has announced it will boycott the opening ceremony of the Milano Cortina 2026 Paralympics in Verona on 6 March, citing the International Paralympic Committee’s decision to allow some Russian and Belarusian athletes to compete under their national flags.
Eric Dane, the actor best known for his roles in 'Grey’s Anatomy' and 'Euphoria', died on Thursday, at the age of 53 after a battle with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS). His family confirmed his death after what they described as a “courageous battle” with ALS.
Divers have recovered the bodies of seven Chinese tourists and a Russian driver after their minibus broke through the ice of Lake Baikal in Russia, authorities said.
A technical fault in the helium system of NASA’s next-generation moon rocket was announced on Saturday, ruling out the planned March launch window for the Artemis II mission.
President Donald Trump said on Saturday (21 February) that he will raise temporary tariffs on nearly all U.S. imports from 10% to 15%, the maximum allowed under the law, after the Supreme Court struck down his previous tariff program.
Germany's ruling conservatives on Saturday (21 February) passed a motion to ban social media use for under 14s and introduce more stringent digital verification checks for teenagers, building momentum for such limits in Germany and elsewhere in Europe.
India and Brazil signed a mining and minerals cooperation pact on Saturday (21 February), as Prime Minister Narendra Modi said the two countries aim to increase bilateral trade to more than $20 billion within five years.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment