China launches nationwide fire safety inspection after Hong Kong inferno
China announced a sweeping inspection of fire-safety standards in high-rise buildings nationwide on Saturday after a deadly fire in Hong Kong left at ...
Venezuela will launch a large-scale, three-day military exercise near La Orchila island, involving thousands of troops, naval vessels, aircraft, and drones, amid heightened tensions with the United States over a recent maritime incident.
Speaking from the Military and Defense Operations Center in Caracas, Venezuelan Defense Minister Vladimir Padrino Lopez announced on Wednesday that the country will hold a three-day military exercise near La Orchila island in its territorial waters. He said the maneuvers were aimed at demonstrating sovereignty over the island territory, which spans about 43 square kilometers.
Speaking on state television VTV, Lopez said the “Sovereign Caribbean 200” drill, ordered by President Nicolas Maduro, will involve more than 2,500 troops, 12 Bolivarian Navy vessels, 22 aircraft, special forces, intelligence units, a submarine, and drones.
"Today our commander-in-chief has ordered us an exercise, a campaign maneuver, it is called that, campaign maneuver ‘Caribe Soberano 200,’ and it is going to be carried out on La Orchila Island," he said.
Lopez added that “military measures will be doubled” in the Caribbean Sea to prepare for a potential armed conflict. Highlighting tensions with the United States in the region, he said, “At this particular time, we must redouble our efforts, increase our operational readiness, and be prepared for a scenario of armed conflict at sea. And that is exactly what we are doing.”
Venezuelan Interior and Justice Minister Diosdado Cabello also addressed the issue at a press conference in Caracas, criticising the U.S.
Cabello responded to President Donald Trump’s announcement that American forces had shot down a drug-laden boat leaving Venezuela in international waters, calling it an “illegal” and “hostile” intervention. He said the matter would be raised with the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO).
Cabello accused Washington of carrying out “disproportionate” attacks that violated Venezuela’s sovereignty, questioning the U.S. claims about the boats and the drugs they allegedly carried, including fentanyl.
Trump had previously reported that three people aboard a drug-laden vessel leaving Venezuela were killed in international waters.
At least 47 people have died and another 21 are reported missing following ten days of heavy rainfall, floods, and landslides across Sri Lanka, local media reported on Thursday (27 November).
Hong Kong fire authorities said they expected to wrap up search and rescue operations on Friday after the city's worst fire in nearly 80 years tore through a massive apartment complex, killing at least 128 people, injuring 79 and leaving around 200 still missing.
U.S. Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth visited sailors aboard the USS Gerald R. Ford aircraft carrier in the Latin American region on Thursday, amid a military buildup by President Donald Trump’s administration that has heightened tensions with Venezuela.
At least 153 people have been killed in Sri Lanka after landslides and flooding caused by Cyclone Ditwah, officials said on Saturday, with 191 others missing and more than half a million affected nationwide.
The Spanish agricultural sector has been placed on high alert following the confirmation that African Swine Fever (ASF) has resurfaced in the country for the first time in over thirty years.
China announced a sweeping inspection of fire-safety standards in high-rise buildings nationwide on Saturday after a deadly fire in Hong Kong left at least 128 people dead.
The death toll from floods and landslides following cyclonic rains in the Indonesian island of Sumatra has risen to 303, the head of the country's disaster mitigation agency said on Saturday, up from a previous figure of 174.
Hong Kong on Saturday mourned the 128 people known to have died in a massive fire at a high-rise apartment complex, a toll that is likely to rise with 150 still missing days after the disaster.
The global recall of Airbus A320 aircraft has triggered widespread disruption across several major airlines, forcing flight cancellations in the United States, Japan, Australia and New Zealand.
Pope Leo visited Istanbul’s Blue Mosque on Saturday, stepping inside one of the most iconic sites of the Muslim world. He removed his shoes at the entrance in a gesture of respect. He did not appear to pray.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment