WUF13 in Baku closes with global call for inclusive and climate-resilient cities
The 13th session of the World Urban Forum concluded in Baku on 22 May after six days of discussions focused on ...
Vietnam marked the 80th anniversary of its declaration of independence from colonial rule on Tuesday with its largest military parade in decades, unprecedented nationwide cash payments, and the release of nearly 14,000 prisoners.
Tens of thousands filled the streets of Hanoi, many dressed in red and waving the national flag, in a powerful display of patriotism in the Communist-led state.
The parade featured Vietnam’s most advanced weaponry, from Russian-made Mi-171 helicopters and Sukhoi Su-30 fighter jets to domestically manufactured drones. Thousands of Vietnamese troops marched alongside military contingents from China, Russia and other nations. At sea, the celebrations included demonstrations by Russian Kilo-class submarines and frigates.
“We are unwavering in our commitment to defend the independence, freedom, sovereignty and territorial integrity of our Fatherland, down to every sacred inch of land,” Communist Party General Secretary To Lam declared in his opening speech.
The event was observed by national leaders and foreign dignitaries, including senior lawmakers from China and Russia, at Ba Dinh Square- the site where, on 2 September 1945, revolutionary leader Ho Chi Minh proclaimed independence.
That address marked the birth of an independent Vietnam after nearly a century of French colonial domination and a short Japanese occupation during the Second World War. However, France refused to recognise the new state and fought a decade-long conflict that ended with its defeat in 1954.
The United States was represented at the parade by a member of its embassy, while Secretary of State Marco Rubio issued a statement congratulating Vietnam, describing the country as “a vital partner in the Indo-Pacific region and a leader in addressing shared global challenges.”
Spectators expressed their excitement at the scale of the celebration. “I’m so glad, satisfied and deeply moved to finally witness the marching troops pass by,” said Hoang Thi Huyen, a 42-year-old Hanoi resident who camped out with her family for almost two days to secure a vantage point. “It was worth the wait. The troops and the fighter jets were amazing,” she added.
Roads in central Hanoi had been closed for three days to allow rehearsals and the parade itself.
As part of the commemorations, Vietnam announced last week that it would distribute 100,000 dong (£3.00) to each of its 100 million citizens — an unprecedented measure expected to cost as much as £300 million. President Luong Cuong also declared a large-scale amnesty for 13,920 prisoners, including 66 foreign nationals, who will be released before completing their sentences.
Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko has said Belarus will not be dragged into the war in Ukraine, while also stressing that Minsk and Moscow would jointly respond to any aggression against them.
Fighting in the Russia–Ukraine war has intensified sharply, with both sides launching significant strikes far beyond the front lines as the conflict enters its 1,549th day.
As the 13th edition of the World Urban Forum ended, Azerbaijan's Pavilion showcased reconstruction efforts in its liberated territories and foregrounded the importance of mine removal in resettlement efforts.
A French appeals court has found Airbus and Air France guilty of corporate manslaughter over the 2009 Rio–Paris crash, marking a major development in a case that has stretched on for 17 years.
Start your day informed with the AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top stories for the 22nd May, covering the latest developments you need to know.
At least 90 miners have died in a gas explosion at a coal mine in northern China, in what is the country's deadliest mining accident in 17 years. The blast occurred on Friday at 19:29 local time (11:39 GMT) at the Liushenyu coal mine in Shanxi province, according to Chinese state media.
Start your day informed with the AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top stories for the 23rd May, covering the latest developments you need to know.
SpaceX has completed a largely successful test flight of Starship V3, the largest and most powerful rocket in history.
Ukraine’s military denied that it struck a student dormitory in the Russian-controlled Luhansk region on Friday (22 May).
China already dominates the global rare earth supply chain. Now, scientists have discovered new deposits in northeastern China that could prove cheaper and cleaner to extract than those mined elsewhere in the country.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment