Trump revokes Secret Service protection for former Vice President Kamala Harris

Harris on the campaign trail. 2nd November 2024.
Reuters

U.S. President Donald Trump has cancelled Secret Service protection for Democratic Presidential candidate and former Vice President, Kamala Harris according to a senior White House official.

The letter reportedly dated Thursday says the termination of additional security is effective 1st September. 

Former vice presidents typically get up to six months of secret service protection after they have left office; however Harris' protection was extended to one year, until January 2026, by then-President Joe Biden before he left office, the official said.

Harris in September is to embark on a 15-city book tour for her memoir, "107 Days," about her unsuccessful presidential run. She was the Democratic nominee for 107 days after Biden withdrew from the race in the weeks following a disastrous debate against Trump.

Reacting to the news, Kirsten Allen, a senior adviser to Harris, said: "The vice president is grateful to the United States Secret Service for their professionalism, dedication, and unwavering commitment to safety”.

Reuters

Harris, who served as the 49th Vice President of the United States alongside President Joe Biden, took office in 2021.

Harris is the first woman, the first Black American, and the first Asian American to hold the post

She was tapped as Democratic candidate in August 2024 after Joe Biden lost his reelection bid following poor performance in a debate against Donald Trump.

Harris lost the 2024 presidential election to Trump but has not ruled out a possible presidential bid in 2028

Trump had earlier ended protection for Biden's children Hunter Biden and Ashley Biden in March. 

Tags