live Hormuz traffic slows as uncertainty over waterway persists
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most s...
Britain, France and Germany are likely to trigger United Nations sanctions on Iran on Thursday over its nuclear programme according to sources, while giving Tehran 30 days to make commitments. Inspectors have returned for the first time since June, as talks have yet to yield concrete agreements.
The trio, known as the E3, met Iran on Tuesday in an effort to revive diplomacy over the nuclear programme before they lose the ability in mid-October to restore sanctions on Tehran that were lifted under a 2015 nuclear accord with world powers.
According to three European diplomats and one Western official, Tuesday’s discussions did not yield sufficient tangible commitments from Iran, though officials said there remained scope for further talks in the coming weeks.
The E3 have reportedly decided to trigger the so-called snapback of UN sanctions, potentially as early as Thursday, citing alleged violations of the 2015 deal aimed at preventing Tehran from developing nuclear weapons.
The United States and its allies argue that Iran’s nuclear activities exceed civilian needs, while Tehran denies seeking nuclear arms.
The UN process takes 30 days before sanctions targeting Iran’s financial, banking, hydrocarbons and defence sectors are restored.
“The real negotiations will start once the letter [to the U.N. Security Council] is submitted,” a Western diplomat said, speaking on condition of anonymity.
A German foreign ministry spokesperson confirmed that triggering the snapback remains an option for the E3.
British and French officials did not immediately respond to requests for comment. Tehran has warned of a “harsh response” should sanctions be reinstated.
Nuclear inspectors return to Iran
UN nuclear inspectors have returned to Iran for the first time since Tehran suspended cooperation following Israeli and U.S. strikes on its nuclear sites in June, Iranian state media reported Wednesday.
International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) chief Rafael Grossi said inspectors were allowed into the country, though no agreement has been reached on the scope of their work or access to nuclear facilities. Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi told lawmakers that Tehran had not yet agreed on full cooperation with the watchdog, according to Iran's parliament news agency ICANA.
The E3 have offered to delay the snapback for up to six months to allow serious negotiations if Iran resumes full UN inspections and engages in talks with the U.S. Inspections would also aim to account for Iran’s large stock of enriched uranium, which has not been verified since the June strikes.
Iran has enriched uranium to 60% fissile purity, close to weapons-grade levels, and had sufficient material for six nuclear weapons before the Israeli strikes on 13 June, according to the IAEA. Producing an actual weapon would take longer, and the IAEA has said while it cannot confirm Tehran’s nuclear programme is entirely peaceful, there is no credible evidence of a coordinated weapons project.
Several rounds of talks were held between Iran and the United States before June. A diplomat said Iran showed signs of readiness to resume negotiations with Washington during Tuesday’s meeting with the E3, though an Iranian source said talks would only proceed if the U.S. guarantees no military strikes occur during negotiations.
Snapback
The “snapback” is a UN process that allows the automatic restoration of sanctions previously lifted under the 2015 nuclear deal with Iran if the country is found in violation. Once triggered, it gives the Security Council 30 days before sanctions on Iran’s financial, banking, energy, and defence sectors are reinstated.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military drills. It added that it hoped a favourable relationship between Washington and Pyongyang could lead to meaningful talks.
Russia said its air defences downed 180 drones over the Moscow region overnight, with 620 drones reportedly targeting the area, according to Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin.
South Korea and the United States are scaling back their annual joint military exercises following an order from U.S. President Donald Trump to substantially reduce American participation.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
The United States is pushing to establish a formal deconfliction mechanism between Israel, Türkiye and Syria after Israeli airstrikes on a Syrian airbase raised concerns about the risk of a wider regional confrontation.
U.S. President Donald Trump has paused a planned 50 per cent tariff increase on Canadian goods for three days, saying Washington and Ottawa had reached a preliminary agreement.
A federal judge has allowed the Trump administration to move forward with ending Temporary Protected Status (TPS) for thousands of Ethiopian nationals living in the United States, removing one of the last major legal obstacles to a broader effort to roll back humanitarian immigration protections.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment