Dozens of children injured in explosion at Kabul education centre
At least 42 children were injured in an explosion at an educational centre in western Kabul on Monday, sparking international calls for a full inve...
Business leaders in France have expressed concern over the economic impact of the ongoing crisis in government triggering fears of a recession.
French Prime Minister Francois Bayrou had on Monday unexpectedly announced a confidence vote to hold next month.
Opposition parties in the divided Parliament have said that they will not back Bayrou in the vote slated for the 8th of September.
Opinion polls carried out after Bayrou's announcement show most French people now want new national elections, pointing to deepening dissatisfaction with politics and a risk of lasting uncertainty.
"Our morale is tied to the functioning of the state," said Alexandre Bompard, CEO of the country's largest retailer, Carrefour.
"The more uncertainty there is, as is the case right now, the higher the risk of a strong hit on the economy as consumers postpone their spending decisions," Bompard told a business conference.
Earlier, Patrick Martin, head of the Medef employers' group, told the conference he was "appalled" that French politicians could not overcome their differences.
"Those who think they can play with the economy make us face a huge risk," he said.
"We want to stress that, in any case, both scenarios (i.e. new PM or snap elections) would likely mean a prolonged period of uncertainty," Morgan Stanley analysts wrote in a note.
President Macron, whose term runs until 2027, has repeatedly ruled out resigning or calling new parliamentary elections and, though he has not publicly commented on either since Monday, he seems more likely to replace Bayrou with a new prime minister.
This would be the second time in less than a year that a French prime minister has been forced out over budget disagreements.
Macron sought to allay fears after a slump this week in the French stock and bond markets ahead of a looming government confidence vote, telling members of his cabinet on Wednesday (27 August) that France was "solid" a government.
At least 11 people were killed in Israeli strikes on southern Lebanon on Saturday, among the deadliest since a June ceasefire. Meanwhile, Qatar denied holding Iranian pilots. It said it had found the remains of one pilot after an airspace violation and had contacted Iran to coordinate a handover.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military drills. It added that it hoped a favourable relationship between Washington and Pyongyang could lead to meaningful talks.
Britain will continue to support Ukraine “100 per cent” against Russia’s invasion, Prime Minister Andy Burnham said on Tuesday, after Moscow warned London of consequences over reports that British-made drones had been used in strikes on Russian territory.
Russia has summoned Japan’s ambassador to Moscow and delivered a strong protest over what it called “anti-Russian” remarks by Japanese Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi and Foreign Minister Toshimitsu Motegi concerning four disputed islands.
Pakistan is turning to more U.S. crude as disruption around the Strait of Hormuz exposes the risks of its heavy reliance on Gulf energy supplies.
U.S. Forces Korea (USFK) Commander Xavier Brunson visited South Korea's Defence Ministry on Tuesday to discuss plans to scale back the joint Ulchi Freedom Shield military exercise, according to media reports.
European countries are stepping up investment in drones and counter-drone technology as unmanned systems reshape modern warfare, driving demand for new production and capabilities across the continent.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment