China launches nationwide fire safety inspection after Hong Kong inferno
China announced a sweeping inspection of fire-safety standards in high-rise buildings nationwide on Saturday after a deadly fire in Hong Kong left at ...
At least eight people have been killed and four remain missing after a flash flood in northern China, state media reported on Sunday, as the East Asian monsoon continues to trigger severe weather across the country.
The flooding occurred around 10 p.m. (1400 GMT) on Saturday when a river in the grasslands of Inner Mongolia overflowed, sweeping away 13 campers near Bayannur, a key agricultural hub. One survivor has been rescued.
China has faced weeks of extreme weather since July, with the monsoon lingering over both the north and south, bringing unusually heavy rainfall. Experts link the shifting pattern to climate change, warning of mounting risks as flash floods displace thousands and cause billions in economic losses.
Bayannur plays an important role as a national grain and oil production centre, as well as a hub for sheep breeding and processing.
Meanwhile, in southern Hainan province, a three-and-a-half-month fishing ban ended on Saturday. Authorities had earlier ordered ships to remain in port due to persistent heavy rain.
The disaster in Inner Mongolia comes shortly after a deadly downpour in Beijing—about 1,000 kilometres away—killed at least 44 people and forced the evacuation of more than 70,000 residents.
To support recovery efforts, the central government last week allocated 430 million yuan ($59.9 million) in new disaster relief funds, bringing the total since April to at least 5.8 billion yuan.
At least 47 people have died and another 21 are reported missing following ten days of heavy rainfall, floods, and landslides across Sri Lanka, local media reported on Thursday (27 November).
Hong Kong fire authorities said they expected to wrap up search and rescue operations on Friday after the city's worst fire in nearly 80 years tore through a massive apartment complex, killing at least 128 people, injuring 79 and leaving around 200 still missing.
U.S. Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth visited sailors aboard the USS Gerald R. Ford aircraft carrier in the Latin American region on Thursday, amid a military buildup by President Donald Trump’s administration that has heightened tensions with Venezuela.
At least 153 people have been killed in Sri Lanka after landslides and flooding caused by Cyclone Ditwah, officials said on Saturday, with 191 others missing and more than half a million affected nationwide.
The Spanish agricultural sector has been placed on high alert following the confirmation that African Swine Fever (ASF) has resurfaced in the country for the first time in over thirty years.
China announced a sweeping inspection of fire-safety standards in high-rise buildings nationwide on Saturday after a deadly fire in Hong Kong left at least 128 people dead.
The death toll from floods and landslides following cyclonic rains in the Indonesian island of Sumatra has risen to 303, the head of the country's disaster mitigation agency said on Saturday, up from a previous figure of 174.
Hong Kong on Saturday mourned the 128 people known to have died in a massive fire at a high-rise apartment complex, a toll that is likely to rise with 150 still missing days after the disaster.
The global recall of Airbus A320 aircraft has triggered widespread disruption across several major airlines, forcing flight cancellations in the United States, Japan, Australia and New Zealand.
Pope Leo visited Istanbul’s Blue Mosque on Saturday, stepping inside one of the most iconic sites of the Muslim world. He removed his shoes at the entrance in a gesture of respect. He did not appear to pray.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment