live U.S.-Iran standoff continues as Hormuz shipping and diplomacy remain uncertain
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to res...
A U.S. federal appeals court on Friday upheld a lower court’s temporary ban preventing immigration-related arrests in Los Angeles without probable cause, rejecting the Trump administration’s request to lift the order.
The three-judge panel from the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals found that the plaintiffs are likely to prove federal agents conducted arrests based on individuals’ race, language, or where they lived or worked rather than any legal grounds.
President Donald Trump had deployed National Guard troops and U.S. Marines to Los Angeles in June in response to protests over immigration raids, an unusual step that brought military forces into domestic policing roles.
The lawsuit, originally filed by the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) in June and later joined by Los Angeles and several Southern California cities, accused federal immigration agents of using illegal practices, including racial profiling, to meet deportation targets set by the administration.
Last month, a California judge barred the federal government from using race or language as the basis for arrests and from blocking detained immigrants from accessing legal counsel.
In the appeals court’s unsigned ruling, judges agreed that immigration officers cannot detain individuals solely based on race or ethnicity, speaking Spanish or accented English, or being present at certain locations such as bus stops, car washes, day labourer sites, or farms.
The Department of Homeland Security and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement did not comment on the ruling as of late Friday.
Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass welcomed the court’s decision, calling it a continued shield for communities facing “cruel and aggressive” enforcement tactics.
“This ruling ensures that immigration agents using racial profiling and other illegal methods remain restricted,” Bass said.
ACLU Senior Attorney Mohammad Tajsar also praised the outcome, saying the decision reaffirms that the administration’s militarised actions in Los Angeles violated constitutional rights and caused lasting harm across the region.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Australia on Thursday condemned Israel’s decision to close its criminal investigation into the deaths of Australian aid worker Zomi Frankcom and six World Central Kitchen colleagues killed in Gaza in April 2024.
North Korea has fired more than 10 short-range ballistic missiles after U.S. President Donald Trump reduced American participation in joint military exercises with South Korea in an effort to revive dialogue with Pyongyang.
Georgia’s foreign trade data for January-July 2026 shows Kyrgyzstan, China and Russia as its top three export markets, highlighting its Middle Corridor ambitions and complex economic ties with Moscow.
Kazakhstan will vote on 23 August in its first parliamentary election under the new Constitution, choosing 145 members of the new Kurultai under a fundamentally changed electoral system based entirely on party lists.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment