Spain’s High Court clears Shakira of tax fraud and overturns multi-million euro penalty
Spain’s High Court has cleared Colombian pop star Shakira of tax fraud and annulled a €55 million ($64 million) penalty imposed by Spani...
At least 54 migrants have drowned and dozens remain missing after a boat carrying around 150 people sank in bad weather off southern Yemen on Sunday, according to health officials.
The boat went down near the Ahwar district in Abyan province, along Yemen’s southern coast, according to security sources. Survivors said the vessel was overcrowded and departed despite rough seas. Rescue teams are still searching for dozens of missing passengers.
Only ten individuals have been rescued so far, nine Ethiopians and one Yemeni, according to Abdul Qadir Bajameel, a provincial health official. The remaining passengers are feared to have drowned. Rescuers are continuing to search for survivors, but hopes are fading.
Security sources reported that the boat sank due to adverse weather conditions, although the exact cause remains unclear. Two medics at the scene confirmed that bodies were still being recovered from the water and the surrounding coastline.
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) has warned that Yemen is witnessing a sharp increase in irregular migration from the Horn of Africa, particularly Ethiopia and Somalia. Migrants often attempt to cross the Bab al-Mandab strait—one of the world’s busiest and most perilous sea routes in hopes of reaching Saudi Arabia and other Gulf countries to find work.
Despite Yemen’s ongoing conflict and humanitarian crisis, it remains a major transit point for migrants. The IOM said more than 60,000 migrants arrived in Yemen via this route last year alone.
“These journeys are often deadly,” the IOM has previously stated, noting that the boats used are typically overcrowded and unseaworthy, with little regard for safety or weather conditions.
This latest disaster underscores the growing human cost of irregular migration and the desperation driving people to risk everything for a better future.
Bulgaria has won the Eurovision Song Contest for the first time, taking victory in a final overshadowed by a boycott over Israel’s participation and the war in Gaza.
At least eight people were injured after a driver rammed a car into pedestrians in the northern Italian city of Modena, authorities said on Saturday. Four of the victims were reported to be in serious condition.
The World Urban Forum (WUF13) continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 18 May, addressing the global housing crisis. The day’s agenda includes the official opening press conference, the WUF13 Urban Expo opening and a ministerial dialogue on the Nairobi Declaration to advance Africa's urban agenda.
At least eight people have died and 32 others were injured after a freight train collided with a public bus at a railway crossing in Bangkok on Saturday (16 May), triggering a fire that quickly spread through the vehicle.
U.S. President Donald Trump says China's Xi Jinping agreed Iran must reopen the Strait of Hormuz, as Tehran prepares a new shipping mechanism. Tensions over the U.S. blockade and stalled nuclear talks continue to disrupt global oil supplies.
Israeli military strikes across Gaza killed at least eight Palestinians on Sunday, according to local health officials, as the Israel Defense Forces intensified operations targeting Hamas commanders and infrastructure across the enclave.
The World Urban Forum (WUF13) continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 18 May, addressing the global housing crisis. The day’s agenda includes the official opening press conference, the WUF13 Urban Expo opening and a ministerial dialogue on the Nairobi Declaration to advance Africa's urban agenda.
A 5.2 magnitude earthquake struck China’s Guangxi region early on Monday, killing two people and forcing more than 7,000 residents in Liuzhou to evacuate as rescue efforts continued.
Russia carried out overnight drone strikes, air raids and shelling across Ukraine, hitting cities including Odesa and Dnipro, killing one person and injuring more than 30, according to Ukrainian officials on Monday (18 May).
Iran and Pakistan reviewed bilateral ties and the latest developments in the stalled Iran-U.S. peace negotiations mediated by Islamabad, as Tehran and Washington continue to refuse tangible concessions amid a fragile ceasefire and escalating verbal threats.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment