live Sustainable reconstruction on the agenda as WUF13 comes to a close in Azerbaijan
As the 13th edition of the World Urban Forum nears an end, Azerbaijan's Pavilion will showcase reconstruction efforts in its liberated territor...
Former Colombian President Álvaro Uribe has been sentenced to 12 years of house arrest for witness tampering and bribery, marking the country’s first-ever conviction of a former president.
A sentencing document obtained by Reuters and confirmed by local media shows that Judge Sandra Liliana Heredia imposed the sentence on Friday evening, following Uribe’s conviction earlier this week. The 73-year-old was also fined $578,000 and banned from holding public office for more than eight years.
Uribe, who led Colombia from 2002 to 2010, is expected to appeal the ruling. His legal team says he will report to authorities in his hometown of Rionegro, Antioquia, before beginning house arrest.
The charges stem from a 13-year-long legal battle in which Uribe was found guilty of attempting to bribe imprisoned former paramilitaries to discredit testimony linking him to right-wing armed groups. He has denied the allegations, calling the case a political vendetta.
The case was sparked by leftist Senator Iván Cepeda, who had gathered testimonies from ex-paramilitaries claiming Uribe supported their operations in Antioquia, where he had once served as governor. Colombia’s Supreme Court later ruled that Cepeda had not manipulated the witnesses — but that Uribe and his allies had.
Two jailed paramilitaries testified that Uribe’s former lawyer, Diego Cadena, offered them money to speak in Uribe’s defence. Cadena has denied wrongdoing and is facing separate charges.
The conviction could strain Colombia’s ties with the United States. U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio described the ruling as “a weaponisation of Colombia’s judicial branch by radical judges.” Some analysts suggest Washington could now reconsider parts of its aid to Bogotá.
Uribe’s sentencing lands less than a year before Colombia’s 2026 presidential election, where several of his political allies are running. As founder and longtime head of the right-wing Democratic Center party, Uribe remains an influential figure in national politics.
While his supporters see the case as unjust persecution, critics call it long-overdue accountability for a man accused for decades of links to paramilitary violence.
Colombia’s Truth Commission estimates that paramilitary groups — which demobilised under Uribe’s presidency — were responsible for more than 205,000 deaths during the country’s armed conflict.
With Friday’s ruling, Uribe joins a growing list of Latin American leaders convicted in court, including Brazil’s Lula da Silva, Peru’s Alberto Fujimori, Argentina’s Cristina Fernández, Ecuador’s Rafael Correa, and Panama’s Ricardo Martinelli.
Asian stocks surged on Thursday as some vessels resumed passage through the Strait of Hormuz, while forecast-beating results at Nvidia and a suspended workers' strike at Samsung Electronics lifted shares of chipmakers.
Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko has said Belarus will not be dragged into the war in Ukraine, while also stressing that Minsk and Moscow would jointly respond to any aggression against them.
The penultimate day of the World Urban Forum 13 in Baku will see Azerbaijan's Pavilion highlight post-construction efforts in Garabagh and East Zangezur, as well as host events on the future of Baku and architectural education.
NATO fighter jets were activated on Thursday (21 May) after at least one drone entered Latvian airspace, according to Latvia’s armed forces, marking the latest in a series of security incidents across the Baltic region linked to the war in Ukraine.
A French appeals court has found Airbus and Air France guilty of corporate manslaughter over the 2009 Rio–Paris crash, marking a major development in a case that has stretched on for 17 years.
Serbian President Aleksandar Vučić said he was pessimistic that an agreement would be reached before Friday’s deadline regarding Hungarian oil company MOL group's bid to acquire a majority stake in Naftna Industrija Srbije (NIS), the operator of Serbia’s only oil refinery.
U.S. President Donald Trump surprised NATO allies by announcing plans to deploy an additional 5,000 American troops to Poland, just hours before Secretary of State Marco Rubio was due to meet alliance ministers in Sweden on Friday against the backdrop of growing divisions over the Iran war.
SpaceX stopped the launch of its 12th Starship rocket from Texas on Thursday and said it will attempt the high-stakes test flight again on Friday, as Elon Musk's space company nears a record-breaking public listing.
The U.S. has arrested Adys Lastres Morera, the sister of the head of GAESA, a military-run business group which owns Cuba’s most profitable enterprises, including the island’s five-star hotels, and its largest port.
Start your day informed with the AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top stories for the 22nd May, covering the latest developments you need to know.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment