China finds potentially easier-to-mine rare earth deposits in northeastern provinces
China already dominates the global rare earth supply chain. Now, scientists have discovered new deposits in northeastern China that could prove che...
China and the US have agreed to extend the pause on 24% reciprocal tariffs after two days of trade talks in Sweden, Chinese trade official Li Chenggang announced Tuesday.
The breakthrough came after negotiations in Stockholm, led by Chinese Vice Premier He Lifeng and US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent. Li Chenggang, China’s trade representative, told reporters that both countries “had a comprehensive and in-depth exchange over each other’s macroeconomy”.
“According to the consensus between China and the US, the two sides will continue to push for the continued extension of the pause on the 24% reciprocal tariffs on the US side, as well as the countermeasures on the Chinese side,” he said.
While Li declined to provide specific details of the extension, the announcement comes just weeks before a U.S.-set deadline of 12 August for China to reach a trade agreement. President Donald Trump has warned that if deals are not secured with other countries by 1 August, new unilateral tariffs will take effect.
The Stockholm discussions followed earlier rounds of talks in Geneva and London. According to Li, both delegations “reviewed the implementation of the Geneva and London consensus and fully recognized implementation”.
Chinese and American economic teams will continue to remain in close contact, with timely exchanges on trade and economic topics, he added.
“Both sides are fully aware of the importance of safeguarding a stable and sound China-US trade economic relationship,” said Li, who described the tone of talks as “candid and in-depth.”
The US and China, the world’s two largest economies, were previously locked in a prolonged tariff conflict, initiated by President Trump, that unsettled global markets before both sides agreed to a partial rollback of tariffs.
Trump has already struck trade deals with the United Kingdom, European Union, Japan and others, while continuing negotiations with countries yet to finalise arrangements.
Asian stocks surged on Thursday as some vessels resumed passage through the Strait of Hormuz, while forecast-beating results at Nvidia and a suspended workers' strike at Samsung Electronics lifted shares of chipmakers.
Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko has said Belarus will not be dragged into the war in Ukraine, while also stressing that Minsk and Moscow would jointly respond to any aggression against them.
Fighting in the Russia–Ukraine war has intensified sharply, with both sides launching significant strikes far beyond the front lines as the conflict enters its 1,549th day.
The penultimate day of the World Urban Forum 13 in Baku will see Azerbaijan's Pavilion highlight post-construction efforts in Garabagh and East Zangezur, as well as host events on the future of Baku and architectural education.
As the 13th edition of the World Urban Forum ended, Azerbaijan's Pavilion showcased reconstruction efforts in its liberated territories and foregrounded the importance of mine removal in resettlement efforts.
China already dominates the global rare earth supply chain. Now, scientists have discovered new deposits in northeastern China that could prove cheaper and cleaner to extract than those mined elsewhere in the country.
More than 2,000 people gathered in San Diego this week for funeral prayers honouring three men killed while trying to stop an attack at the Islamic Centre of San Diego, in what authorities are investigating as a suspected hate crime.
U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said negotiations with Iran remain deadlocked over uranium enrichment and the Strait of Hormuz, despite what he described as modest progress in recent talks.
Fighting in the Russia–Ukraine war has intensified sharply, with both sides launching significant strikes far beyond the front lines as the conflict enters its 1,549th day.
Serbian President Aleksandar Vučić said he was pessimistic that an agreement would be reached before Friday’s deadline regarding Hungarian oil company MOL group's bid to acquire a majority stake in Naftna Industrija Srbije (NIS), the operator of Serbia’s only oil refinery.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment