live U.S.-Iran standoff continues as Hormuz shipping and diplomacy remain uncertain
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to res...
Vietnam has put its northern coastal provinces on emergency footing ahead of Typhoon Wipha, warning of floods and landslides while rescuers hunt for survivors of a tourist-boat disaster that has already claimed more than 30 lives in Halong Bay.
Typhoon Wipha is forecast to sweep ashore between Quang Ninh and Ninh Binh provinces early on Tuesday, bringing heavy rain, gale-force winds and the risk of “flash floods and urban inundation,” the national weather agency said.
Prime Minister Pham Minh Chinh, in an urgent message issued on Sunday night, ordered local authorities to call fishing boats into port, evacuate low-lying districts, stockpile food and secure communications networks.
“This is a strong and fast-moving typhoon,” he said, warning of possible landslides in nearby mountain regions.
The storm threatens to hamper the search for passengers still missing after a tourist vessel capsized during a thunderstorm in Halong Bay on Saturday, killing more than 30 people, according to provincial officials.
Airlines have begun cancelling services. Flag-carrier Vietnam Airlines and subsidiary Pacific Airlines have scrapped at least nine domestic flights scheduled for Monday, while budget carrier Vietjet grounded 12 services, including several to South Korea, and cautioned that further delays were likely.
Vietnam, whose 3,200-kilometre coastline faces the South China Sea, endures more than a dozen tropical storms each year. Last year Typhoon Yagi killed about 300 people and caused an estimated $3.3 billion in damage.
At the weekend Wipha felled trees and scaffolding in Hong Kong, forcing more than 200 people to seek refuge in temporary shelters, the city’s government said.
Emergency teams in Quang Ninh, home to Halong Bay, have pre-positioned rescue boats and medical supplies, while neighbouring provinces reported moving sandbags and generators to hospitals and evacuation centres. Authorities urged residents to follow official bulletins and avoid spreading unverified information on social media.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
South Korea estimates North Korea possesses between 80 and 120 nuclear warheads, its defence minister said on Thursday, citing a range significantly higher than U.S. President Donald Trump's recent assertion that Pyongyang has 57 nuclear weapons.
Russian ballistic missile strikes on Ukraine’s capital Kyiv has killed at least twelve people and injured more than two dozen others, Ukrainian officials said, with fires reported across the city and Poland activating defensive air operations.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 20th of August, covering the latest developments.
Britain has summoned Israel’s chargé d’affaires and demanded that the Israeli government withdraw a tender for construction in the controversial E1 settlement area in the West Bank.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment