Germany tells nationals to leave Iran, fearing retaliation over sanctions
Germany has told its nationals to leave Iran and refrain from travelling there to avoid getting caught in retaliatory acts by Tehran over Germany's ro...
Congo and the M23 rebel group have agreed on a declaration of principles after months of Qatar-mediated talks, aiming to end fighting in the country’s east.
The Democratic Republic of Congo and M23 rebels have reached a declaration of principles to ease violence in eastern Congo, a region plagued by years of conflict. The deal, expected to be signed in Doha, includes an immediate ceasefire and a commitment to begin formal negotiations on a broader peace agreement.
The agreement follows months of mediation led by Qatar and pressure from the United States, which sees the peace effort as key to unlocking investment in Congo’s mineral-rich eastern provinces.
Fighting between M23 and Congolese forces, supported by regional actors, has intensified since January, with the rebels capturing major territory across North and South Kivu provinces. Thousands have been killed and hundreds of thousands displaced.
Qatar previously brokered a surprise meeting in March between Congolese President Félix Tshisekedi and Rwandan President Paul Kagame, calling for an unconditional ceasefire. Direct talks between Congo and M23 followed, despite Kinshasa initially branding the group a terrorist organization.
Negotiators say the declaration outlines steps for a lasting ceasefire and the eventual restoration of state authority in rebel-held areas. However, there are still unresolved issues, including M23’s withdrawal, the reopening of banks, and the release of detained fighters.
The UN and Western governments have accused Rwanda of backing M23 with troops and weapons — allegations Kigali denies, saying its forces are defending against Hutu militias linked to the 1994 genocide.
A powerful eruption at Japan’s Shinmoedake volcano sent an ash plume more than 3,000 metres high on Sunday morning, prompting safety warnings from authorities.
According to the German Research Centre for Geosciences (GFZ), a magnitude 5.7 earthquake struck the Oaxaca region of Mexico on Saturday.
The UK is gearing up for Exercise Pegasus 2025, its largest pandemic readiness test since COVID-19. Running from September to November, this full-scale simulation will challenge the country's response to a fast-moving respiratory outbreak.
Music mega-star Taylor Swift and National Football League player Travis Kelce announced their engagement. “Your English teacher and your gym teacher are getting married," the couple wrote in a joint Instagram post, alongside photos of Kelce proposing to Swift in a garden of pink and white flowers.
Germany has told its nationals to leave Iran and refrain from travelling there to avoid getting caught in retaliatory acts by Tehran over Germany's role in triggering United Nations sanctions on Iran over its nuclear programme.
Britain has barred Israeli government officials from attending its largest defence trade show, DSEI UK 2025, in response to Israel's escalating military operations in Gaza. The move marks a rare rebuke of a historically close ally during rising humanitarian concerns.
Afghan officials said Pakistani drones struck homes in Nangarhar and Khost provinces late on Wednesday, killing three people and wounding seven, prompting the Taliban government to summon Pakistan’s ambassador in Kabul on Thursday in protest.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief: here are the top news stories for the 29th of August, covering the latest developments you need to know.
Microsoft has dismissed four employees for protesting against its ties to Israel, including two who staged a sit-in at the office of company president Brad Smith this week.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment